Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Not smart enough for GATE

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 67 Replies
My son is 8 years old. He is a very intelligent boy. Recently, he was put into the GATE program in his school. (The gifted program.) which is great, because he gets very bored with some of the work he does in class, and can absolutely do more challenging work. I went to a meeting for parents of new gate students, and basically here is my problem. The school is not basing the program on only intellectually advance students. Some kids are in GATE for being good artists, showing good leadership skills, or writing stories well. For example, the student could be doing poorly in academics but be a great artist so they would be put in GATE. I have a huge issue with this. The school says it is because they don't want to 'discriminate' ' and only accept 'smart kids'. But isn't that what GATE is supposed to be? Kids that are advanced academically. It is a lot different than it used to be, aNd for whatever reason it's just our school district that does this. What are your thoughts on this? would you still put your child in?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:28 PM
7 moms liked this

I assume gate stands for gifted and talented?  Hence the talent part. Kids can have a high artistic or musical intelligence and not be "book smart". 

wissotamum
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I would be thrilled to have my kid in a GATE program, especially since it includes all sorts of different talents.
Cmgmqmmom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:29 PM
Well, it does stand for gifted and TALENTED.... that implies to me, talents like art, writing, etc. could be included. Not all people are gifted in the same way. Don't those kids deserve to have their gifts nourished as well?
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:29 PM
Gate, gifted and TALENTED program

Those children are talented, therefore they belong there.

My oldest is in gate, for math and art, though he struggles with reading.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:30 PM

and there ya go....exactly.

Quoting momtolittleg:

I assume gate stands for gifted and talented?  Hence the talent part. Kids can have a high artistic or musical intelligence and not be "book smart". 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:30 PM
I don't know... I have always been advance with math but suck with English.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Quoting momtolittleg:

Yes. But these kids will all be in a class together, and if they are in there for different reasons what is the point of putting them together? What is the common denominator? They wouldn't be Doing the same work.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:33 PM
1 mom liked this

They are GIFTED. A super talented artist is GIFTED. It doesn't and should just have to be for the standard academic sbjects.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:34 PM
A little more insight- my nephew is in the GATE program as well, but in a different school. He had to test to be accepted into the program. This is how it was when I was in school. If you are stronger in one subject but really struggle in another, usually just your teacher works with you, and You wouldn't be GATE identified. (Maybe giving you more challenging math if that was yor strong point.) The good leader ship skills really throws me off. IMO that is not a talent.
PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:36 PM

If your GATE program is like the one at my daughter's elementary school, it's only for 1 or 2 days a week and they work on projects, it's not in place of regular classroom, it's an enrichment class and they have to be recommended and pass a test for it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN