Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my ob agreed that i didnt need to do glucose screening test

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies

at my last appt i got the bottle of glucose drink and the directions. after getting home i researched it including what the prevention measures are in the event a test is positive and even what the diabetes foundation had to say about it. i decided to not do the test. today at my appt when my doctor came in she asked me if i had done it and i told her that i had decided not to. she smiled at me and said, "well thats just fine, you are not high risk anyways. i am just so used to giving it to everyone because of protocol."

i did do the test with my last pregnancy before i knew much about it. i passed it just fine. i eat very healthy, a low sugar diet. no diabetes anywhere in the family. no autoimmune disorders at all, in fact. 

i find it against my instincts to take a drink thats glucose content is equivelant to drinking an entire 2liter + 1 can of soda. in five minutes! that is so damaging to the body!

and this pregnancy i have had terrible lingering nausea even at week 28. i think the last straw was the fact that if i had even tried sniffing that drink at 830am i would have threw up. 

anyways just thought id share something neat that happened today. i had been really worrying about getting chewed out for not doing the test. but i have a really cool ob apparently! she doesnt bat an eye at anything!

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:59 AM

bump

MixedCooke
by Platinum Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 1:01 AM

I have no problems telling doctors no or getting a second opinion.  I know my body and I know if something is wrong.  I even knew I miscarried even though there was no blood.  I had lost 5 lbs and lost the distinct pregnancy roundness.  I just knew something was wrong.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 24, 2013 at 1:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Go you?? I'm not really sure what response you want ppl to give you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 24, 2013 at 1:04 AM

i am sorry for your loss. :[ but it is very good that you are in tune with your body. i am as well and i have never been high-risk for anything by anyones standards.. i am just a healthy person overall!

Quoting MixedCooke:

I have no problems telling doctors no or getting a second opinion.  I know my body and I know if something is wrong.  I even knew I miscarried even though there was no blood.  I had lost 5 lbs and lost the distinct pregnancy roundness.  I just knew something was wrong.

adorkablemommie
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 1:04 AM

umm okay, want a metal? an award? you're really not the first person to refuse a needless test  I don't know what you're looking for, praise? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 24, 2013 at 1:05 AM

i am hoping to instill some confidence in other women who want to refuse screenings but are too hesitent to stand up for themselves! 

i guess the moral of the story is: dare to advocate for yourself.. its not that bad!

Quoting Anonymous:

Go you?? I'm not really sure what response you want ppl to give you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 24, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Yeah I thought about not doing it as well, good thing they sent me early to have it done bc I had it.

I eat healthy & work out, GD has nothing to w/diabetes running in your family & just bc you don't have it w/one doesn't mean you won't get it w/another.  Just like if you have it w/one doesn't mean you have it w/another.

I could have done lots of damage if I went by the "it doesn't run in the family & I eat heahtly, workout & feel fine."

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 24, 2013 at 1:07 AM

some cookies fpr standing up for myself would be nice. with my first pregnancy i was so overwhelmed and the doctor was oblivious to my hesitancy that i just complied against my true wishes. i am hoping to empower some other women here that may be in the same boat i used to be.

Quoting adorkablemommie:

umm okay, want a metal? an award? you're really not the first person to refuse a needless test  I don't know what you're looking for, praise? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 24, 2013 at 1:07 AM
I got a new kitten and my front room floor cleaned for free today. :)

Overall it's been a good day :)
lilsirsmomma
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 1:08 AM
I was low risk too. I eat healthy, exercise. My first 2 pregs were negative...but my third tested positive. I was actually off the charts with my sugars.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured