Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you take your kid to a psychiatrist if....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

They were obsessed with checking to see if their hands were dirty?

My 5 year old literally looks at his hands to check to see if they are dirty at least 30 times throughout the day. For exmaple he will be playing on the playground, then ranomly hold up his hands to look at them, then flip his hands to the other side to check, then go play some more, then check again in a minute (or seconds) later.  He will check in the car, before he goes to bed, when he is watching TV, playing legos, whatever.

This has been going on for about a month.

Actually, it started out where he would just ASK me and show me his hands and ask if they are were dirty or if they were bleeding.

I posted it on here, and many of ya'll said I needed to take him to the ped and get a referral for a psychiatrist.

Well, I told him he needed to stop asking me it or we would have to go to the doctor, so now he just looks.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:46 AM

What does he do if they are dirty?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:48 AM
No because it sounds like you started the habit for him...
LovlyRita
by Meter Maid on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:49 AM
Yes. Many times I have kicked myself for waiting too long to go to the doctor. I have never regretted going.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Good question, really nothing, Actually every time he checks they check out clean (to him) .Though I guess mabe once or twice in the past week he has insisted on washing his hands.  Actually it is more like his is obsessive with CHECKING to see if they are dirty, not with washing them, etc. 

Quoting Anonymous:

ivegotrhythm
by Gold Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:49 AM
Yes. Yes I would.

bex55
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:50 AM

A psychiatrist won't help unless you want to medicate your kid. You could try a psychologist or therapist instead. I'd say give it some time for him to possibly outgrow it, sometimes kids just go through weird phases. If it startes really affecting his day to day life then speak with your ped for a referral. Good luck.

anoncalypse
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:50 AM

interesting.... if it keeps up much longer i would or if it gets worse

has he had strep throat recently?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:50 AM

If his hand checking isn't interfering with anything and is not disruptive to activities I would just keep a watch on it.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Good question, really nothing, Actually every time he checks they check out clean (to him) .Though I guess mabe once or twice in the past week he has insisted on washing his hands.  Actually it is more like his is obsessive with CHECKING to see if they are dirty, not with washing them, etc. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Quoting bex55:

A psychiatrist won't help unless you want to medicate your kid. You could try a psychologist or therapist instead. I'd say give it some time for him to possible outgrow it, sometimes kids just go through weird phases. If it startes really effecting his day to day life then speak with your ped for a referral. Good luck.

Yeah theres NO way Id medicate him over this. I agree with you. I hope it is a phase. When he was asking me if they were dirty, fortunately he would only ask me, my dh or my other son and he never asked his preschool teacher thank goodness
LeJane
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:56 AM

http://kidshealth.org/kid/feeling/emotion/ocd.html

when I googled the facts this came up .... Knowledge is power for you and him..

I dont' know for sure but it is what I had suspected when you  said what was going on...  

Just a word of advice,   do not make him feel like going to a doctor is a punishment.      He may not be able to help himself and to try and manipulate his behavior by threatening and making the "doctor" seem like the bad guy will not help things what so ever.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)