Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

that's right, your 37- or 38-weeker is no longer considered full term!

Posted by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 3:57 AM
  • 793 Replies
39 moms liked this

They are now known as "early term" according to the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology and the Society of Maternal-Fetal medicine. 

They say the notion that 37 week babies are full term is antiquated, based on observations that many babies born after 37 weeks do "just fine" and, they say, causes doctors and patients to schedule many unecessary medical interventions to induce a baby to come along before they are ready. 

Full term is now considered 39 weeks and not a day earlier. 

Link to article: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/10/22/full-term-pregnancy-definition/3145107/

I, for one, am pleased. I am so sick of reading about women who brag about their elective c-sections at 37 weeks because they're "done" being pregnant. How about you let the infant decide when they're done growing?

(ETA: Also sick of the shady doctors who suggest and push inductions to fit their own schedule, ehrm, ahem, I mean, because it's what the mom "should" do. My first was born at 39w 6d and I was dilated over 4cm with no signs of active labor, but I was pitocin induced essentially because my doctor was going on vacation.)

How do you feel about this new recommendation?

How many moms here now have "early term" babies instead of full term? How many of them were induced or had a c-section before 39 weeks? Was there a medical reason? 

edit for clarity and to add a point. 

by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 3:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 24, 2013 at 4:00 AM
3 moms liked this

I had a c-section at 38 weeks and had nothing to do with my not wanting to be pregnant.

lesalmi
by Gold Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 4:01 AM
7 moms liked this
In MN, unless it is deemed medically necessary, you can not have a csection or induction before 39 weeks by law.

Which actually makes me nervous because according to my LMP and where I am measuring I was due Jan 1st but according to the first ultrasound (which is what they are going by) I am due Jan 8th. We have a planned csection for the 2nd but I don't think he's going to stay in that long. My DD was 9 days early
CrossStitchMum
by Gold Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 4:01 AM
My 3rd was scheduled for exactly 39 weeks, the 4th, 39 weeks +4 days so I'm ok I guess
lilsirsmomma
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 4:02 AM
1 mom liked this
I was induced at 38 weeks with my third. I didn't want it, but I had preeclampsia that was worsening. It was a necessity. My first came at 40 weeks, second at 41 weeks.
xredstarsx
by Gold Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 4:02 AM
2 moms liked this
Well I have post term babies but I am happy about this
rmfanfgljf
by Platinum Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 4:02 AM

I had two early term babies, my second came at a little over 37 weeks, her choice not mine, my water broke at work so I had to have her.......my son was full term.

Mrs-Somerhalder
by Blake on Oct. 24, 2013 at 4:02 AM
5 moms liked this
They said my baby was early, going by my LMP, even though I knew my date of conception and she was pretty much right on time.

I hate that they go by LMP.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
New.OrleansLady
by Platinum Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 4:02 AM
1 mom liked this
My insurance won't pay if induced or scheduled c section before 39 wks
laineysmum
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 4:03 AM
7 moms liked this

IMO, when babies come naturally at 37-38 weeks it can be chalked up to the inaccuracy of due dates.. would you agree that she was probably actually full term?

Quoting rmfanfgljf:

I had two early term babies, my second came at a little over 37 weeks, her choice not mine, my water broke at work so I had to have her.......my son was full term.

laineysmum
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 4:05 AM
10 moms liked this

I have super-irregular cycles and my doctor and I used to joke about how my LMP was a full 8 months before I conceived my second daughter. LONGEST PREGNANCY EVER! ;)

Quoting Mrs-Somerhalder:

They said my baby was early, going by my LMP, even though I knew my date of conception and she was pretty much right on time.

I hate that they go by LMP.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)