Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

that's right, your 37- or 38-weeker is no longer considered full term!

Posted by   + Show Post

They are now known as "early term" according to the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology and the Society of Maternal-Fetal medicine. 

They say the notion that 37 week babies are full term is antiquated, based on observations that many babies born after 37 weeks do "just fine" and, they say, causes doctors and patients to schedule many unecessary medical interventions to induce a baby to come along before they are ready. 

Full term is now considered 39 weeks and not a day earlier. 

Link to article: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/10/22/full-term-pregnancy-definition/3145107/

I, for one, am pleased. I am so sick of reading about women who brag about their elective c-sections at 37 weeks because they're "done" being pregnant. How about you let the infant decide when they're done growing?

(ETA: Also sick of the shady doctors who suggest and push inductions to fit their own schedule, ehrm, ahem, I mean, because it's what the mom "should" do. My first was born at 39w 6d and I was dilated over 4cm with no signs of active labor, but I was pitocin induced essentially because my doctor was going on vacation.)

How do you feel about this new recommendation?

How many moms here now have "early term" babies instead of full term? How many of them were induced or had a c-section before 39 weeks? Was there a medical reason? 

edit for clarity and to add a point. 

by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 3:57 AM
Replies (421-430):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 82 on Oct. 24, 2013 at 6:32 PM

I had a "true" full term baby....born on her due date at exactly 40 weeks.

conweis
by Platinum Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 6:33 PM

I did this article in another group :)

IcHoKeOnNeRdZzZ
by Platinum Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 6:34 PM
All my babies were born 40w give or take a day or two maybe 4 lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GracielaT-S
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 6:34 PM
I had my first at 25 weeks, weighing all of one pound two ounces. I suggest women quit whining and be blessed with the honor of participating in the miracle of pregnancy, all the way until the baby is ready. www.babymilagro.org if you're curious.
flibbertygibbet
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 6:35 PM
I was induced at 37+1
I had a clotting disorder and my BP was rising.
Though I had no protien in my urine the doc had multiple concerned givin all that my AMA and multiple MCs
When he was born he didn't want I breathe at first.
They got him stimulated and he is ok now
BUT I had an ultrasound the day before induction.
They didn't catch it then, but there was a blood clot on my placenta after I delivered it.
I would absolutely do the same thing again
Anonymous
by Anonymous 83 on Oct. 24, 2013 at 6:38 PM

My mother had 5 children, all more than 10 days past due date. My first was 18 days past due date. In my case, there was no chance I had gotten pregnant later than the date used to calculate.

My daughter opted for being induced at 39-40 weeks. Her baby was 17" and 5#. She is not a small child.

Predicted gestation is an average. Women take different amounts of time to develop a baby. My daughter feels she jeopardized her baby's health and will definity let labor begin naturally next pregnancy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 84 on Oct. 24, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Induced at 38 weeks with my first due to pre-e. I ended up with a c-section. She was posterior and not ready to come out. I don't disagree with the induction though. And it certainly not for the doctor's convenience as I was admitted on a Friday afternoon.

Here you can only do a vbac if you've had a successful vaginal delivery. So DS was a scheduled c-section but at 39w5days. I started developing pre-e so he was born at 38w5d instead.

I knew my due dates for both with 100% accuracy. DD was a fresh cycle IVF and DS was a frozen embryo transfer.

I agree that if mom and baby are healthy that we should avoid inductions etc especially before 40 weeks.
darciegenito
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I think it's kind of sad when people try to force their baby out.  When the baby is ready to come out, he or she will come out! Unless of course it's super late, then there are certain health issues imo.. but I think before 40 is wrong to try to induce.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 85 on Oct. 24, 2013 at 6:40 PM
I like it my c- sec was 38 weeks 6 days
latebloomerw4
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this

My second was cosidered late by their calculations, no matter how many times I told the Dr that I knew the exact weekend I conceived! ....I had been separated from the dad, he came to see our son that weekend and... well the rest is history and that daughter is now a senior in HS. But because we were separated, and I am not one to play around, I KNEW the due date, there was no "guessing" needed for her date of conception. But their vast knowledge and expertise claimed other wise.

Anyway, I forced the waiting game and when I could stall them no longer and I knew she was due I allowed them to schedule me for induced labor....that morning as I was getting ready to go in, my water broke in the shower.... LOL!

She was full term, 20" and 8lbs 2oz... very normal for our family.  My 3rd and last child was also full term and 20", 9lbs 4oz

Sometimes they just don't know all..... We are not text books, we're humans that are all very different, I wish Drs would acknowledge that.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)