Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do divorced parents have the right to dictate food eaten in the others house?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

SOs ex sent him a long e-mail listing what the kids could and could not eat.  These kids are 10 and 8.  She said she has been doing research and has put the kids on a diet.  Here is her list....no red meat, no fried food, no bottom feeder fish, no pork, only organic veggies, only organic dairy, no candy, no sweets, no soda, and nothing processed.  ABSOLUTELY NO FAST FOOD, PIZZA, or any of that.

Now we are pretty healthy eaters.  We always make sure the kids have a balanced meal.  We do a lot of veggies, a lot of chicken, and a lot of fish.  But on Fridays we always have pizza.  The kids look forward to it.  Now....our kids are weird...they don't like regular pizza.  Mine eats chicken and spinach on wheat crust with roma tomatos and goat cheese.  His both like mushroom and peppers.

So I really don't think she can tell us what to feed the kids...but what do you think?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 24, 2013 at 7:54 AM
Replies (371-378):
whisperwhisper
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Unless it's healthwise (for example, an allergy, or something a child shouldn't be eating), I don't think they have a say, really. Nothing in that diet is maltreatment to the child.

Diane1223
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:59 AM
I would tell her to go jump in the lake..lol ;)
AmosFarkle
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Those "rules" are way over the top. Do what you wish if you're feeding them healthy food in the right portions. She'd have to get a court order for those demands. But on the other hand, I had to send my kids to their dad's and he had NO idea what he was doing. He starved the oldest two while I still had the younger, but when the younger went over there he was fed junk. Thus, I had 2 skinny, sickly kids and 1 pudgy one. Next thing I knew, his new wife was sending ME notes telling me to do Atkins.
Homeschoolmom99
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:24 AM

She has lost her damn mind! They sound like they eat fine too me! Unless they have a court order then no. My son tells his dad he is not fond of Junk food! My ex just can not cook plain and simple if its not nuked or ordered the man has not a clue! I mean he messes up scrambled eggs!

So when our son leaves for the weekend we send him his food in Tupperware and such only cause our son is raised to know that junk is a treat. He can handle one night of pizza with daddy but then I kid you not he wants a salad and real food!

So my wife sends him three days of his food he enjoys. Its not us telling him what to feed the child its knowing otherwise my picky child with Autism is not your average teen when it comes too junk food.

Devious333
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:39 AM
Lol is she on cm? Shed fit right in with the food freaks on here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 5, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Quoting bcauseimthemom:

If there are food allergies, yes... if not, then no.  I would let her know that if she is sending pre made food with the children each visit then that is what they will get otherwise she needs to mind her business.  Actually your SO should tell her that.

This is something I would do without a SM telling me to do.  If I want my kids eating a certain way it most certainly is my business.  My kids drink soy and almond milk, they don't eat a lot of red meat (not even once a week), no fast food at all. I don't know or care how a SM eats in that house - she can feed her kids whatever she likes, no problem.  I will feed my kids the way I feel benefits them the most.

My kids don't go there anymore, but I was sending food before they stopped going.  Their SM did have an issue with food battles with my children.  I don't engage in them and it wasn't her place to do that either.  So I sent what I knew my kids would eat.  

I also don't tell my ex what he can and can't feed the kids.  I just tell the kids. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 5, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Imo, not unless there are health issues or concerns.  I have personally had some issues, which I completely ignored. My son's stepmother...( both his BF and SM are HUGE! About 300lbs each) tried to tell me, in front of my son's teacher, that I was feeding him the wrong kinds of food! My DS, AND my DD are both small for their age, very athletic and involved in sports, and perfectly healthy. SM said I was feeding him the wrong kinds of lettuce, I should NEVER feed him Mac and Cheese, or ketchup..etc. She claims to only eat completely healthy and organic, but she, my Ex, and Her DD are all overweight, and you can always see candy wrappers and fast food wrappers hidden in her vehicle! I ingore her, but it is so hypocritical it just drives me crazy!

celticgodess
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 1:39 PM

As long as you are eating reasonably healthy (which it sounds like you are) and doing your best, unless she wants to buy the food she can kiss butt.  Even then - no

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)