Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Be honest... Is being a SAHM a luxury ?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Replies (31-40):
couture-mommy
by She.Me.Her on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Nope
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I feel it is. If there ever came a time my husband couldn't support our current lifestyle as well as our savings I would happily return to work. 

Photo: -Randi.

mollymolly
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this

For me, not when they were younger.  I went back to work for a very brief period of time when my son was a toddler, and oh, man, was that nice!  I got to go to the bathroom when I wanted to, by myself.  I didn't even mind the traffic on the way home because I got time to myself!  But once the kids got older, then, yes, for me it became something of a luxury.  I found a way to work at home, not making much, but still here after school. I still volunteer at school, as well.  There's a lot to be said about being at home when there are preteens and teenagers at home, but it's about time for me to get back out there and try to make better money now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:02 AM
8 moms liked this
No, it is not. For us, it means giving up a lot of the fun luxuries that people seem to think they can't live without. It means buying everything second hand or getting hand me downs. It means keeping the thermostat at 64 in the winter. It means using our resources wisely. It means the kids get one present for Christmas instead of all the newest gadgets and gizmos.

And it is completely, 100% worth it!!!! Every sacrifice, every penny pinched, husband working long hours, it is worth it to be able to stay home with my children.

For some it may be a luxury. For myself and many moms that I know, it is not.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I don't think so ... but then again I don't think I'm technically a SAHM because I study as well.

countrymomma81
by Gold Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:03 AM
This, exactly. And with both kids in school I'm busier than ever.

Quoting NeverTooMany:

For me it is. I get to stay in my home, comfortably, and do what I enjoy. Caring for my kids, cooking, baking, cleaning ( yes I enjoy cleaning)... doing my crafts, volunteering where I want etc. My husband has blessed me with this opportunity to be the parent and mother that i want to be.

avonleafan
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:04 AM
I went back to work for a few weeks because I wanted to help out with bills. we found that it cost more to pay for childcare and gas than it's worth. we have 3 kids with one in school. when all three are in school I will probably go back to work but for the time being it would actually save us money for me to be home. I found something that I can do once a month (for family) that is going to help with said bills and I will end up making more with that than I did in the three weeks that I worked.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Nope!!  It is more work than most realize.

garnet83
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:08 AM

To me, it would be.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Yes and No.

For many SAHMs, it actually is hard work.  They take on more than just "keeping kids alive" and tackle home projects, meal planning, shopping solo, errands, and chores as well.  Often if she was working before there are sacrifices made on the way down to one income.  Perhaps not getting her dream car, or buying more clothes on sale or at thrift stores since the kids will stain them up anyways and giving up an extensive fashionable wardrobe.  (Though IMO all SAHPs should invest in at least a handful of outfits that make them feel classy or fashionable!  You're a SAHP, but you're not dead or boring.)

Having the option to drop one income is a luxury many families don't have.  And even with it being hard work, if house maintenance and being with your children all day are things you love then it doesn't feel so much like hard work.  You gotta love what you do!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN