Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Be honest... Is being a SAHM a luxury ?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:10 AM
I think so. I love staying home with my babies.
ELKmountain.mom
by Peepers on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Yes, its not always easy but I have options. I can stay home, go to school or work since my husband doesn't need my income and offers me the ability to do what I want.
I am sure to some it would be horrible but I think its a blessing he is proud to give me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this
It is for me. My kids are in school. I have all day to myself to do what I want. I am a homebody so most days I clean and watch Netflix. If I want to grab a book and a cup of hot tea and take a hour long bath I can. If I want to go eat lunch with my Mom, I can. I love it. It is a luxury because my dh works hard but does not make tons of money. We don't have a fancy car or big fancy house. We gave up cable years ago. We don't wear designer clothes or shoes. But we are happy, because those are needs, not wants. We pay our bills and often have enough extra that the kids can get a treat or a toy just because. We can go out to eat to celebrate good grades. Great satisfaction comes from being happy with what you have. I could work and have all those things. My kids love that I stay at home because I am so much happier than in the times I was working.
IronJennyKidd
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Quoting art.diva:

Yes, and no.  There are times when the mom wants to work, but can't for reasons out of her control (child with special needs, for instance).  But for others, if a wife prefersto stay home, then yes it is a luxury.

This is my situation. My child is special needs and I would need a fairly good paying job to justify the expenses. Honestly I don't have the skills to earn what I would need outright, so we rely solely on my husbands income. That makes things tight and we don't enjoy the luxury of vacations, cell phones, newer cars(all we have is a 96 truck)...another poster pretty much summed up what we sacrifice to be able to have someone available to care for everything at all times.
Missy.Anon
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Personally, I don't think so. I think that, in some cases, it's a necessity.

MomTiara19
by Gold Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

It is a luxury in the fact I can be home with my family.

Yet I am no desperate housewife...lol...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:23 AM
In this economy it sure is.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Luxury isn't the word I would use but I think it's definitely a privilege, in my situation anyway. It's hard at times but I'm blessed that I can stay home as raise my own children. That's why I had kids, to love and care for them.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Well it is a luxury in the sense that it certainly is not a given right. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 18 on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:35 AM

It would be torture for me. I'm not domestic at all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)