Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Just got the bill for my surgery: $35,000 does NOT include the hospital stay!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

I had surgery 3 weeks ago to remove my left kidney, adrenal gland, & surrounding tissue, after a 4cm cancerous mass was found in it.   The first bill -- for the pre-op tests and surgery -- arrived today:   $35,000.   Fortunately, we have pretty good insurance -- but I don't know how we are ever going to get 'our share' paid off.    I'm dreading getting the hospital bill.

by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Replies (21-25):
Char-Bear
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:21 PM
My ankle surgery was over $100 grand. You should have a max out of pocket per year, while it can still be high at least you'll know the absolute most you will pay.
katemckenzie
by Kate on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:27 PM

I was left with $50,000 after DS's heart surgery that insurance didn't cover... I feel your pain.

SavdNSanctified
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:29 PM

So what happens if you don't pay? Do they stuff all your parts back in?

DropZoneMom
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 2:58 PM

ROFL....gosh, I hope not!!!!  :)    I did tell a nurse in recovery (as I was coming out of the anesthesia) that the doctor put my kidney in a jar, so my kids could take it to school for show n tell.

I've already arranged to start paying $200/month.   We can't really afford that much -- but the business office person wasn't very friendly, and seemed to think paying anything less would make us deadbeats.

Gotta love our healthcare system. 

Quoting SavdNSanctified:

So what happens if you don't pay? Do they stuff all your parts back in?

purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 3:00 PM
It could be. About 2-3 weeks ago I got my insurance stuff from my hysterectomy that was in August. It processed that fast.

Quoting 3MusketeerMama:

I doubt that is your final bill after only three weeks. We just got a $58,000 statement from the hospital when our daughter was in the NICU from FEBRUARY. The actual amount before contractual obligatory discounts was over $250K. And that was before insurance paid and we still haven't gotten an updated billing statement stating what we actually owe. DO NOT PAY YET. Call your insurance first to verify that they have processed the claim. I doubt they have with only three weeks having passed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)