Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do you stop your kid from...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
Saying "yep" and "okay" when you're lecturing/talking to them to make you stop talking faster? She also gets this blank look on her face like she's not there at all. She's 16 btw. She also has a retort lately of 'my body, my choice' when I ask her to change clothes, follow hygiene standards, shave, etc.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 25, 2013 at 4:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 25, 2013 at 4:40 AM
Well, what do you expect her to say? And her body,her choice.
frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 4:41 AM

At that age most of those would be up to her and she could face the natural consequences of not shaving or not taking a shower.  As long as her body was legally covered, I would not fight that either OR take all the unapproved clothing out of her room and put in about 5 sets of sweats for her to wear if the other clothing was too revealing.   DD is 7 so she can get the blank look if i talk too long.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 25, 2013 at 4:41 AM
I do expect yes and okay, but she literally INTERRUPTS me to say so.

Quoting Anonymous:

justone_jen
by Gold Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 4:42 AM
Sounds like a normal asshole teen to me. I don't look forward to this.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 25, 2013 at 4:44 AM
Don't acknowledge it, just continue speaking, don't stray from the point

Quoting Anonymous:

I do expect yes and okay, but she literally INTERRUPTS me to say so.

Quoting Anonymous:

handy0318
by Platinum Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 4:52 AM

Lecturing isn't really all that effective at this age. It's hard for me to stop talking... I do talk/lecture/nag and they glaze over as well. But they really aren't listening. Mine are 16 and 13. 

When it comes to wearing clothes that are not allowed or too much make up (neither of mine are bad about personal hygiene), I find the most effective thing is to simply state they won't go out of the house wearing something unacceptable... or until the make up is toned down.

Granted, I can do this because both of mine homeschool, so it's not as if they would be missing school. Usually if they are getting ready to go somewhere, it's almost always someplace they want to be going. And, they won't go unless they're dressed properly, he doesn't smell like a stinky teen boy and she doesn't look like a cheap hooker. 

"My body, my choice" doesn't fly at our house. They'll get the entire rest of their lives to dress and act how they please once they're out on their own. As of now, the rule is "Our (dh and I) house, our rules"...

tinybluemoon
by Gold Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 4:57 AM

I'd take the bloody clothing and when she had a fit over it just say 'yep' and 'okay'. I would take her bedroom door just for good messure as well.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 25, 2013 at 5:02 AM
I've made her late for school a few times, but in the end I will be punished for her tardiness. Not her.

Quoting handy0318:

Lecturing isn't really all that effective at this age. It's hard for me to stop talking... I do talk/lecture/nag and they glaze over as well. But they really aren't listening. Mine are 16 and 13. 

When it comes to wearing clothes that are not allowed or too much make up (neither of mine are bad about personal hygiene), I find the most effective thing is to simply state they won't go out of the house wearing something unacceptable... or until the make up is toned down.

Granted, I can do this because both of mine homeschool, so it's not as if they would be missing school. Usually if they are getting ready to go somewhere, it's almost always someplace they want to be going. And, they won't go unless they're dressed properly, he doesn't smell like a stinky teen boy and she doesn't look like a cheap hooker. 

"My body, my choice" doesn't fly at our house. They'll get the entire rest of their lives to dress and act how they please once they're out on their own. As of now, the rule is "Our (dh and I) house, our rules"...

susannah2000
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 5:04 AM

Well if Miss Thang doesn't feel like following basic standards of hygiene, or wants to wear revealing clothing, I would agree that it is "her body, her choice," but I would remind her that it is "my house, my choice," and everyone in it would be decently covered and follow basic hygiene. Period.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)