Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

should an eighteen month old be able to...edit!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 302 Replies

tell me when she's pooped?   i have an in home daycare and one of the children i take care of is eighteen months.  she poops 3-4 sometimes 5 times a day!  she always has a bad diaper rash, to the point that i can't use wipes and have to use the special towels they send.  i can't be on top of her all day long, i check her frequently, but sometimes she'll sit on the floor and whine and rub her butt on the floor and i know she has a poop and has had it for a few minutes.  i'm getting frustrated that she doesn't tell me when she's pooped, am i being unreasonable?  my dd was able to tell me when she was younger than that but i know all children are different.  how do i go about making her understand that she needs to let me know right away that she's pooped?

edit: just so everyone knows, i check her every twenty minutes or so.  and like i said in the post, i know every child is different that's why i was asking.  my dd telling me a lot sooner than this and the child i'm talking about tells me when she's hungry, she tells me when she's tired, she's very verbal, just not about this.  i put a special cream that they send on her butt and she's been to the dr several times. i've suggested smaller portions of her food because they feed her a lot  of food and that's why i think she poops so much. 

EDIT:

Thanks to the ladies that actually helped me out and gave me advice...I sat down with the parents today because we all needed to be on the same page with this and this is what we've come up with together.  They are taking her to the dr again this week, seeing if they need to do some allergy testing.  They are switching to cloth diapers (which I am all for) and a different cream to help the rash.  I have permission to let her wander naked for a little bit in the mornings to help dry out the rash but when it's time for outside play she will obviously be dressed again.  They are cutting out any acidic foods that they've been giving her but she is just a water drinker so no change in her liquids. We are trying to make it better for the baby and I got some really great tips from other moms, so thank you guys very much, it is very much appreciated.  As to the others, I chose to just ignore the negative remarks because I know that I am very good at what I do.  

Another Edit :)    The rash is finally getting better, after the weekend of being mostly naked at home.  The cloth diapers seem to be working better than the store bought ones.  she's still pooping a lot (three times already this morning) but the rash is better.  dr this afternoon so we'll see about allergies.  we are not going to potty train just yet because mom is due for baby #2 in two weeks.  we'll let that get settled before potty training.  thanks again for those of you that helped out.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Some can, some can't. Maybe check her on a schedule? Sorry.
Keara20
by Platinum Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:52 AM
17 moms liked this
I wish I could poop 3 times a day.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:52 AM
57 moms liked this

Find a new profession, this one isn't for you. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Mine does sometimes. Sometimes she just says "poo poo" for the hell of it. It's a 50/50 thing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:53 AM

i definitely try to but she's so inconsistant and sometimes i working on an art project 

Quoting bleumonster:

Some can, some can't. Maybe check her on a schedule? Sorry.

christi34
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Not all children are on the same page and can't always tell you when they have to go. What type of diet is she on that has her pooping so much?

BambiF
by Gold Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Eh my son turned two yesterday and only tells me sometimes.
My dd would never
ewunia79
by Gold Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:54 AM
My 15 mo points at her butt and says ka ka
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:54 AM
9 moms liked this

thanks for the advice, i'm actually very good at what i do and that's why i was asking.  maybe instead of judging you could give me a suggestion on how to get her to let me know.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Find a new profession, this one isn't for you. 

qslaqhay
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:55 AM
2 moms liked this
8 month old? Seriously?

Change career
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured