Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you think moms who get drunk once a week are bad moms?

Posted by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:23 AM
  • 234 Replies

Moms Who Get Drunk Once a Week Are the Luckiest Moms of All

by Ericka Sóuter 

wineThere are so many ways we catergorize bad moms. The most obvious, of course, are those that neglect or abuse their children. No argument there. Those women should NOT be mothers. Though, the behavior doesn't have to be that extreme for other people to label you unfit. There are SAHMs who think working moms are the lowest form of humanity. And forgot about those who chose not to breastfed. They are practically burned at the proverbial stake. But there is something else causing controversey among mommies -- alcohol. Specifically, drinking lots of it. So this interesting question recently popped up on CafeMom: Are you a bad mom if you get drunk once a week?

And the answer is ...

No -- but let me qualify that. If you don't get wasted in front your kids and you don't have a serious problem, I don't see a problem with occasionally over-imbibing.

You know I'm right. Nothing goes better with motherhood than Merlot. I'm not talking about sitting in a room alone with a bottle of wine. I, for one, found a new appreciation for vino after having my son -- thanks to playdates with other tired, working moms. I live in a big NYC apartment building and luckily there are several kids around my son's age. It's not uncommon for a few of us to get together for a "right-before-bed" playdate. The kids even come in their pajamas. It's a great way to tucker them out before bedtime (and hopefully ensure less whining when the time comes). Another HUGE bonus -- it's a time for us moms to decompress, relax, and find kinship in the common struggle that is parenthood. 

Now I'd be lying if I said there weren't times when we popped open too many bottles and got a little tipsy on a Friday or Saturday evening. The kids are pretty oblivious, running around, playing with each other. They are having a ball and, to be honest, so are we. It's sanity saving. No one can understand the stresses you go through like a woman experiencing nearly the exact same thing. Of course, there are plenty of people who will judge -- that is something many moms are prone to do. And I don't think anyone should get fall down drunk with their kids around. And there are certain warning signs for alcoholism you should look out for: you feel a strong need to drink, hiding your habit, unable to put limits on how much you drink. Even if the kids don't see it, it's a major problem and will probably only get worse.  If you experience any of those, it's time to get help.

But I don't see the problem with toasting (or getting a tiny bit toasted) with friends once a week.  As long as the kids are none the wiser, what's the big deal?

Do you think moms who get drunk once a week are bad moms?

by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sandra_t00
by ChaChi on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this
unless they have no one to watch the chirren, are getting drunk in.front.of.them, then no
Pink.Sunshine.
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:25 AM
13 moms liked this

getting smashed weekly, sorry, but I'd say at the least, she has a mild alcohol addiction.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:25 AM
4 moms liked this

No, and frankly it makes some of the "joys" of motherhood easier.  I don't get "drunk", but I do go to happy hour every Friday with ADULTS and I have no qualms about it.

Devious333
by Ruby Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:26 AM
Once a week? I don't see the issue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovnmy3boys
by Paula on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Not if they wait for bedtime, and it's not falling down drunk. :)

TrouserMouse
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:28 AM
7 moms liked this
Getting drunk? The only people that set out every week to get drunk have issues with alcohol.

If they have a drink or two once a week, okay.

Getting drunk? No.
momto1ryen
by Gold Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:28 AM
2 moms liked this
I live in Wisconsin, drinking is normal here so no I don't see it as a problem.
NeverTooMany
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:29 AM
9 moms liked this
We get a good buzz every Friday, sometimes Saturday too. Our friends bring their kids over, we bbq, do a fire, play poker. The kids are all playing with whatever we set up that week. We put kids to bed and have adult time with poker. If I get drunk who cares? As long as my kids are sage. People are so ridiculous these days.
NeverTooMany
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:31 AM
2 moms liked this
Not accurate. So, everyone i know has an alcohol problem? Lol we get a good buzz each weekend over poker, bbq and bonfire. Don't drink ever during the week. So yeah, you must have past family alcohol issues to believe that. We also are not poor or low class. These are officer families, upper enlisted and kids are safe in bed before any drunkenness ensued.

Quoting TrouserMouse:

Getting drunk? The only people that set out every week to get drunk have issues with alcohol.

If they have a drink or two once a week, okay.

Getting drunk? No.
NeverTooMany
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:32 AM
2 moms liked this
Exactly... Kids in bed... Drunk and wasted are wayyyyy different

Quoting lovnmy3boys:

Not if they wait for bedtime, and it's not falling down drunk. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN