Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The price of being a career mom

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 132 Replies
I'm 34 and have spent the last 12 yrs with an fortune 500 company as an executive assistant. Long story short I decided to put my notice in with my job because of how needy & unfriendly this company was towards families. My boss told me that I was beginning to become "unreliable" mind you in the 12 yrs I've been there I only took 1 week off a year & only got sick a few times. Also, I have a 5 month old baby at home. Anyone who has a child under 1 (some would argue any child) knows how demanding it gets - with the doctors apts & other issues. He's a 50 year old ma. With 3 children himself - I guess he forgets what its like to be a parent. I honestly don't ask for a lot - I work 10 hour days & on the days I have to get my baby to the dkctos I come in 1 hr late always telling him a week in advance. Today's my last day but I've been going on interviews

I'm starting to see how unfriendly most company is are towards moms. I've gone on 6 interviews & every single one has asked me about daycare, they fund ways to find out if your married or have kids (legally they can't come right bie & ask I don't think).

I'm so frustrated right now. These companies are insane. For those moms who do work in a good family friendly company - good for you :). I'm losing hope & contemplating staying at home for a while until I find something that is more family friendly. When did work/a career become like a prison? Or has it always been like this? It makes me so sad to think how all of these employers truly do not care about us employees.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 25, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I have always worked in small non-profits that have been very family friendly

The expectations of your career are probably the trade off for your compensation

TheDrsRose
by Bad♄Wolf on Oct. 25, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Big companies don't see people with needs and wants. They see you as some one who is easily replaced. :/

lapcounter
by Queen Mom on Oct. 25, 2013 at 1:31 PM
Cannot say I blame you, my family comes first, always has!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 25, 2013 at 1:32 PM
All 6 employers I interviewed for are small businesses. So its not just big businesses these days :/

Quoting TheDrsRose:

Big companies don't see people with needs and wants. They see you as some one who is easily replaced. :/

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 25, 2013 at 1:33 PM
3 moms liked this

My company isn't family friendly at all. They are there to make money for the shareholders it is my responsibility to have back up sitters and schedule things around work.  I don't expect my employer to care about me at all they are there to provide me with a safe working environment and pay me for my work. They are not there for moral support or to help me parent my children that is what my husband is for.  I think too many today feel their job owes them more than a paycheck and that is all they owe you.lol 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 25, 2013 at 1:33 PM

There is a reason I am a SAHM.  DH is at an executive management level, he doesn't really have the option to take time off for the kids.  So, I am in charge of all of that. 

The trade off, he is paid very well, but it leaves no room for things like Drs appointments, family functions, etc.

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 1:33 PM

sometimes small businesses are just as bad because they need every employee at work consistantly to make the business run

Quoting Anonymous:

All 6 employers I interviewed for are small businesses. So its not just big businesses these days :/

Quoting TheDrsRose:

ZanderandBella
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 1:34 PM

They have their choice right now. I searched for a job for 3 years. What makes it worse for me is my husband is military so they know that if something were to happen to my kids, it would be me needing to take time off, or the fact that my husband may get deployed. I'm glad I don't ever have to worry about a job again. I hated dealing with all the interviews and everything. 

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 1:34 PM

I've worked in a number for Fortune 100 companies.  Yes, they aren't particularly family friendly - it's how they got where they are. Yes, I did it with 2 kids (well, of course, one to start with, lol).

You learn to arrange things so that they DON'T interfere with your job.  Back up childcare, after hours doctor appointments (or someone else taking them to the doctor), errands on lunch hours and so on.  I even did it while travelling for business 2 weeks out of every month (but with only one child, he was about 3 when I started doing that).

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 1:35 PM
3 moms liked this

And how do they possibly find out you have a kid?  Be less "open" about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)