Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you stock up your pantry or only have what you need right now?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 109 Replies
I like a stocked pantry. I get kind of panicky when it looks bare. I only buy things that we will use, not random stuff just to fill it. Always in the back of my mind is this little voice that says " do you have enough dry goods to see you through at least a month without going to the store?" If not, I replenish. :) We have 5 lbs of lentils, 10 lbs of rice, 5 lbs of pinto beans, 5 lbs of corn meal, 10 lbs of flour, 10 lbs of sugar, 2 of brown sugar, 5 big boxes of chex cereal, 12 large cans of locally raised beef, 8 jars of newmans spaghetti sauce, 16 jars of tomatoes, 8 cans of pumpkin, 8 cans of evaporated milk, 5 cans of pears in their own juice and 4 of pineapple in own juice, various canned veggies ( I prefer frozen) 2 bags of coconut flour, 6 bags of corn pasta and 12 various packages of regular pasta, 5 bags of tortilla chips, 8 bags of pork rinds, 5 boxes of crackers and 3 jugs of apple juice. There is much more in there but that's what I remember off the top of my head. The junk food is for dh and the kids. I really don't eat it much. That amount will last at least through winter for our family of 7.

I also stock my chest freezer. We currently have 12 chickens, a huge pork loin ( longer than my arm), 2 turkeys, 5 pork roasts, 8 lbs of butter, and 10 lbs of cheese. Dh is hoping to get a deer this year as well.

We need more staples. I still feel like we don't quite have what we need. However it takes time and planning to stock up in a cost effective way ;).
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
weaveress
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:14 PM
I go to sam's and stock up every three months. We go to the butcher every six weeks.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:15 PM

I am the opposite. I like when it starts looking bare because then I know we used all the food I bought. I then buy more, of course.

vegaswife2011
by Emerald Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Stock. We love Costco. 

thetrollcat
by Meow on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:17 PM

we just got back from costco and stocked up... We do this every other month or so. Stock up on can goods and what not. Also tampons, shavers, yadda yadda, I have three damn girls not including me in this house. Cheaper....

So ya we got a full pantry and stuff in the garage.

catrig
by Platinum Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't have a year's supply of pasta, or 40lbs of rice.....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:19 PM

We are usually stocked about a week ahead.

It's paying off right now because we are broke as hell and I am raiding the cupboards.  LOL

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:19 PM
I stock up on toiletries and whatnot too. Dh is obsessed with never running out of toilet paper, lol.

Quoting thetrollcat:

we just got back from costco and stocked up... We do this every other month or so. Stock up on can goods and what not. Also tampons, shavers, yadda yadda, I have three damn girls not including me in this house. Cheaper....

So ya we got a full pantry and stuff in the garage.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:20 PM
As needed, I drive down the very close main drag where there are 4 chain grocery stores, a natural foods market, Trader Joes, grocery warehouse, Italian bakeries, fish and meat market......and make my choice where to shop.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:21 PM
We don't have 40 lbs of rice either, it would go rancid by the time we got to the last of it. That's not useful at all. Waste not!

Quoting catrig:

I don't have a year's supply of pasta, or 40lbs of rice.....

heatherh610
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this

We keep the pantry and our deep freezer stocked...but the pantry doesn't get touched on a regular basis since we eat mostly fresh.  We do rotate out the deep freezer more often. 

If for some reason something in our stock gets low, I get panicky.  Guess it comes from being poor for a long time (and having an ex that wouldn't allow me to have food in the house for a time)...I like having it as a back up, and knowing that we could survive for a long time on what is in there if we had to!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)