Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Help!! Dog training....

Posted by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:28 PM
  • 23 Replies
So we got a pup, well she's 8 months old. Half mini beagle half mini Australian shepherd. She came potty trained. She doesn't bark much. She perfect with the kids. Walks okay on a leash, she pulls a bit, doesn't bark at other dogs or even care when another do is around. HOWEVER if people are around, she thinks she will die if she doesn't go meet them. She pulls on the leash jumps up tries to get to them. This needs to be fixed. We walk her daily and we just don't see enough people to get it in her head how she should react to people.

Tomorrow we are going to a pumpkin patch, a dog welcome pumpkin patch. I am debating taking her. I think maybe I can get some decent training in with her but I'm worried she will be such a handful that it will distract from us having a good time. So, is it a good idea? If I do take her what's the best way to handle her and teach her to stay calm around people. We have only had her for a week, we are just now working on basic commands with her and she doesn't have those down pat, we'll she does at home but not when we are on walks.....
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KylesWifey
by Gold Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:32 PM
Bump
KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:43 PM
2 moms liked this

While I think the pumpkin patch is a great training opportunity. I believe in getting dogs out there for socialization and training. I think it makes them better behaved. I think it might be to soon for that. You might want to look into getting her a gentle leader head halter (not a halti). This will help you get control.  Start practicing on your walks having her sit when people approach. I would ask that they not acknowledge her (if tyhey ask to pet her)because she needs to learn that not everyone is going to want to stop and pet her.  When you do have people pet her ask them to wait until she is sitting and if she gets up to stop petting her immediately and ignore her.

I have an Aussie that LOVES people and this was very hard for her. I was met with a lot of it's oks when she jumped on people. And I would tell them it's not ok with me She has to learn how to be polite. 

KylesWifey
by Gold Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:59 PM
Gentle leader head collar? Is that the kind that goes over the nose and brings their face down when they pull on the leash?

Quoting KyliesMom5:

While I think the pumpkin patch is a great training opportunity. I believe in getting dogs out there for socialization and training. I think it makes them better behaved. I think it might be to soon for that. You might want to look into getting her a gentle leader head halter (not a halti). This will help you get control.  Start practicing on your walks having her sit when people approach. I would ask that they not acknowledge her (if tyhey ask to pet her)because she needs to learn that not everyone is going to want to stop and pet her.  When you do have people pet her ask them to wait until she is sitting and if she gets up to stop petting her immediately and ignore her.

I have an Aussie that LOVES people and this was very hard for her. I was met with a lot of it's oks when she jumped on people. And I would tell them it's not ok with me She has to learn how to be polite. 

JordansGenius
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:06 AM

These are amazing!  I was introduced to them in obedience training 10 years ago and always recommend them.

This should instantly fix your walking and jumping issues.  Should you purchase a head-collar, I would suggest briefly watching a "How-To" on YouTube to ensure a pleasant walking experience.

KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:10 AM

It's like a halter on a horse. It won't necessarily bring their nose down but they will get a correction if they pull on the leash (usually it will turn their head towards you). You won't necessarily have to give them the correction they will correct themselves just from pulling. But it also sends them calming signals because it sits on 2 pressure points. And if the dog is dominant it will help tell them who really is the boss.

Quoting KylesWifey:

Gentle leader head collar? Is that the kind that goes over the nose and brings their face down when they pull on the leash?

Quoting KyliesMom5:

KylesWifey
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:10 AM
Thanks!!! I think I'll head to pet smart tomorrow!!!

Quoting JordansGenius:

These are amazing!  I was introduced to them in obedience training 10 years ago and always recommend them.

This should instantly fix your walking and jumping issues.  Should you purchase a head-collar, I would suggest briefly watching a "How-To" on YouTube to ensure a pleasant walking experience.

KylesWifey
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:11 AM
Awesome sounds like what I need!!!!

Quoting KyliesMom5:

It's like a halter on a horse. It won't necessarily bring their nose down but they will get a correction if they pull on the leash (usually it will turn their head towards you). You won't necessarily have to give them the correction they will correct themselves just from pulling. But it also sends them calming signals because it sits on 2 pressure points. And if the dog is dominant it will help tell them who really is the boss.

Quoting KylesWifey:

Quoting KyliesMom5:

3MusketeerMama
by EmmaRye Pie on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:14 AM

I second this. Gentle leaders are great for dogs that jump a lot. Good luck!

Quoting KyliesMom5:

JordansGenius
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:17 AM

I can not promise that they will always have them in stock, if at all anymore, but as an owner of multiple dogs, my last 2 came from WalMart packaged as an off brand for around $7.00 each, half the price of those in PetSmart.  If you happen to be at plaza that shares a WalMart, it may be worth a look.

Quoting KylesWifey:

Thanks!!! I think I'll head to pet smart tomorrow!!!

Quoting JordansGenius:

smurfbitebug
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:19 AM
Well, hell. Looks like all the good advice is already here ;)

There is nothing more I could say. Kylie'smom covered it very well.

Quoting KyliesMom5:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)