Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Not all smokers get addicted

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 30 Replies

My friend from work says there is no such thing as a social smoker, that once someone begins smoking they will soon be addicted.  I think that is true for most of us but my 17 year old has one cigarette in the morning with her coffee and it's the only time she ever smokes and has been doing this for the past 3 years and hasn't become hooked.  I don't want my kids to smoke but if she's only having one a day I really don't see a problem with it.  Is anybody else a social smoker only?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suzanneyea
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:05 AM

She is lying to you.

JTROX
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:06 AM
1 mom liked this

I now only smoke when I have a few drinks.

I used to smoke one cigarette on the way to work and one on the way home.  That was it for the day.  Unless I was having drinks.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:07 AM
Yo o/
GarysWife1991
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:08 AM

I think it could be possible she's only smoking one a day but being a smoker I think it's highly unusual for a person to be able to smoke one a day or just once in a while.  I wish I could do that.  But if it's true and that's the only time she smokes I would be ok with it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:13 AM
I started by smoking one everyday and now I'm at a half pack-pack a day she's lying or hasn't gotten addicted yet. Or maybe she's not inhaling lol
Syphon
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Yup.  There is no way any parent should be condoning any amount of smoking with what we know today about the health ramifications.

Quoting suzanneyea:

She is lying to you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:16 AM

She is not lying, she has no desire to smoke other than with her coffee in the mornings. 

bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:20 AM
I have known people who only smoked when they drank. I found out my 15 year old was smoking behind my back, bumming cigarettes. I told her to stop and she has. She said she has no craving or need to smoke. Now its possible she is lying but I pretty much believe her.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Social smoker

suzanneyea
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:28 AM

Did you know she was smoking at 14?

i have already told my kids, if they smoke, I am done. No more paying for education etc.

Quoting Anonymous:

She is not lying, she has no desire to smoke other than with her coffee in the mornings. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)