Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SAHMs - is your household income less than $100k?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 583 Replies
3 moms liked this
I'm not just asking because I'm nosey! I'm desperately trying to figure out how we could modify our lifestyle so I could SAH with DD instead of going back to work in a few weeks. I really thought I would want to go back, but now the thought of leaving her is killing me!

Our combined income is $184,000. If I don't work, that will drop to $99,000. I KNOW there are families out there who make it work on even less than that so the mom can stay home. Tell me, how do you do it?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Yep, my dh currently brings home roughly $85,000 a year. It's totally do-able, if you love within your means. We don't eat much fast food or go out to eat often, we have a budget, etc.

ecerka
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this
No but before it was over that I still stayed home.
caustinb
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:31 AM
ugh..we have been trying to figure this out too. My dh was offered a new position, in a new state, which means no job for me. Its really hard to figure out what's important and if it's worth it, lifestyle wise.
ncbirdie
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:32 AM
5 moms liked this

Eliminate your debt; that is where the biggest money pit is.  Get rid of extras; do you need satelite with 2000+ channels for however much a month it is now or will Netflix at $9/month satisfy you?  Buy store brand foods where you can; many of them aren't any different than a brand name (though there are some name brand things I will buy.  I won't touch american cheese slices that aren't Kraft).

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Yes
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:32 AM
2 moms liked this
51,000 a yr right outside of Baltimore.
mommyoflittles
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM
3 moms liked this

We are a family of 4 and my husband makes $35,000 a year. We live comftable. We dont do trips and we do go to a restaurant about 2 times a YEAR. We are happy but we dont have the fancy things

wealso live in a suburb of chicago

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM

No we dont. My personal rule is if we cant afford to save, in addition to maintaining our current lifestyle, then I would need to go back to work. 

Photo: -Randi.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Our annual income is $43,200. I SAH, and we are on no PA at all.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:34 AM
We own all vehicles outright and we own our home so We don't have rent or mortgage. We budget for the rest. If we had those payments I would need a job.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured