Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Tipping is a ridiculous custom.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 593 Replies
8 moms liked this

When you think about it, tipping really is an irrational practice.

Nowhere else in the entire labor force does the customer have so much discretion in how an employee gets paid. The closest analogue is to stripping. Some strippers are employed essentially as independent consultants and therefore make most of their money from tips. Some salespeople work on 100% commission, but their pay is up to the employer, not the customer. There just aren’t many jobs where the compensation isn’t between the employer and employee. When someone makes a bunch of money for good performance, it’s a bonus or commission. But when you make $3/hr and have to serve food to assholes who only drink water and order the cheapest item on the menu then your bonus is a “tip”.

Yet there are so many people with similar positions in the service/labour industry that we do not tip. It doesn't take someone any additional skill or training or experience to land a job at Ihop Vs. McDonalds, yet we won't even consider paying those who work at those lowly fast food stations more...even though those businesses are booming with our hard earned dollars.

Tipping is archaic and uncomfortable. If I’m unsatisfied with my meal (at the fault of the server) I feel compelled to leave a lower tip but often don't in fear of getting on some blacklist of bad regulars that will have spit in their food. 

Not only do some service positions get passed by on tips, but in some places the waitstaff are required to make minimum wage. Here in Washington state that is 9.19 hourly plus tips. So if I go to a restaurant it might take my family several hours of work to pay for that meal, including the tip, and yet our waitress serving us is making that in less than an hour. Unreal.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LadyVoldemort
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:36 AM
10 moms liked this

damn that's deep

N_maricle
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:40 AM
7 moms liked this
Being a waiter sucks 95% of the time by my estimation. But you are right, op. Tipping can be confusing and uncomfortable. I try to tip about 20% and honestly I've not had bad service from many waiters. If I do I chalk it up to them having a hard day and still tip them.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:41 AM
2 moms liked this

I <3 Being a Waitress... 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:41 AM
3 moms liked this

I thought so. LOL

I'm sure it's just a bunch of blah blah to most people. But I think waitresses make lower wages in most states so some people cannot grasp it.

Quoting LadyVoldemort:

damn that's deep

strongforthem
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I made bank as a server in Washington! God i miss that money!

PestPatti
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:43 AM
12 moms liked this

Too many think tipping is a requirement and feel entitled to it. 

suzanneyea
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Wait staff in Canada get minimum was so, about $11 an hour. I don't see why I have to tip. But, I do.

michaelsmom25
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:44 AM
I did too when I was younger.

Quoting Anonymous:

I <3 Being a Waitress... 

mommy74146
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:44 AM
4 moms liked this
I agree to a point. I think the servers wages shouldn't rely on the customer. That's the employer getting away with almost free labor. I do feel obligated to tip lousy service just bc I feel bad if I don't tip. I don't mind tipping though if my experience was enjoyable.
christina0607
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:45 AM
30 moms liked this

If you think someone who takes your fries off a heat lamp is akin to a server, I have to wonder where you eat 

I'm a server and love it. If you don't want to tip, by all means don't. Just have the decency to let your server know before the meal. thats all we ask. Then we can just grab your food for you, like a mcdonalds worker. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)