Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why would people on disability keep having kids?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
You know that you're not going to be able to work. If something every happened with your spouse you would be screwed so I don't understand why you would continue to have kids. It's not very smart
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:19 AM
I see stupidity is in full force today.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:20 AM
They'll claim it was an oops - over an over again.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Uhm. A disability shouldn't require people to stop having kids. A 9-5 job isn't the only source of income for your information.

My spine is severely fucked up. I work now but won't always be able to. Should I not be allowed any more kids than the one I have?
tarheelmama
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Wow. Really!?!  This post makes you look 'not very smart'.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I'm not sure I count.  I get a retirement check from the VA, and am a disabled veteran.  I'm not on "disability."

However, my DH has the very best in life insurance.  If something were to happen to him, I'd have enough money to last me 3 years AFTER paying off our home.  Once the house is paid off, I could easily live within my means on my retirement check.  But the extra money from the life insurance would help soften the blow and cover retirement for me (I guess just old age) and college for the children.

My family has insurance through DH, but also through the VA.  So if we were to lose DH's insurance, myself and the children would still have good insurance.  My insurance through the VA would require a higher deductible and copays.  But I could easily cover those with our savings.

But what if he leaves me!?

I've got that covered, too.  A portion of both our checks goes into a retirement account in my name only.  It is legally set up so that even should he leave or divorce me, the money is mine.  This was actually to protect me in the case of a prolonged illness or something on DH's part, as at the time his mother HATED me and would threaten to come after any money or assets DH had in the event of a disaster.  Now, while I'd easily win in court, I wouldn't be able to touch said money or assets until I DID win.  We figured this was one thing she couldn't even try to touch, and there is nothing wrong with having extra money set aside for retirement anyways.

We also have 6 month's salary in savings at all times.

We have 2 children and are pregnant with our third, and yes the baby is planned.  Not just in that we wanted another baby, but that we waited for DH's income to be able to comfortably support a third, for our savings to be built up, and for my other children to be a little older so they could help with some things.  Like my oldest is 5, so he is in school most the day.  He also has some basic chores and enjoys helping with simple baby tasks.  My middle is 18 months, will be 2 by the time baby is born, so he'll be potty training, eats solid food, and from early on he was more independent from me so hopefully he doesn't go to being clingy once baby gets here.

heartslove09
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm prettty sure the lady meant people living off government disability, should not have kids! I agree, they will keep having kids and all will be paid by the government.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:02 AM

because each child may qualify for a subsidy of ssi , if mom is disabled.

suzanneyea
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this

If you are really physically disabled, pregnancy should be physically impossible. If you have the physical well being to birth a child, you can work.

Mizz_Sassyfrass
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:50 AM
a lot of employers won't hire anyone that has a visible disability, although they can't come out and say that's why, you know in your gut after being turned down every single time.

I have a visible disability, until I got my first job in corrections, I was turned down for every job for almost 10 years. the only reason I got my corrections job was because I was friends with the commander and he convinced the county to give me a chance.

the only reason I have the administrative job I have now is because it is family that owns the company.

my point is this, some people are unemployable because of their disability and because many employers will not hire them period. that does not mean we are bad parents.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)