Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He wants to...

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:49 AM
  • 2 Replies

Hey Ladies.. Need a little advise here

My ex husband and father of my two children is wanting to claim one of the kids on taxes next year. Now normally im sure your thinking they are his children he deserves to claim one right? I thought the same thing to and am teetering on letting him but honestly do not feel it is fair.

My ex husband is a LCP in the USMC. He and I make about the same each month. He is remarried has one son with her. He sees my children for the summers. Normally June 7th- August 4th. Calls and speaks to them once a month and pays a whole whopping 250 a month in child support (not knocking it atleast its something) it is not court ordered as I know it would be way more then that plus half of day care fees and that would royally screw him and I honestly dont want that.

Well he told me he wants to claim one of the kids on his taxes next year. I told him that I wasnt sure he could has he only had them from July- August this past year and tax law says 6 months is what he has to have them to claim. We have no papers stating that it is his right to do this. In your opinion should I let him as he is their father or explain to him that I provide almost everything and am legal residental custodian?

by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
darlingmeggy
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Um no, I wouldn't.
Ppuff1971
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Unless it was specifically laid out in your divorce decree this might be a problem. My ex and I have 2 boys that we can both claim (one a piece) until the older one is 18 and then it's everyother year for me with the younger one.  That's is what was laid out in our divorce decree. You might want to talk to an attorney on this one but I don't think he should be able to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)