Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kia or Hyundai?

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:14 AM
  • 45 Replies
SUV or mini van?

So we did the whole "pay cash" for a car thing and ended up with a lemon. So now we are reselling our mini van that we just bought in August and buying new.

We were going to buy certified used but with all the problems we have had we want the bumper to bumper 60k mile warrant that Kia and Hyundai offer. Plus everywhere is having their "year end sale."

But we don't know which... And I know nothing about either. I plan on lookig up some consumer reports, but I want some honest feedback.

Also we need either a 3rd row SUV or a mini van. I'm torn between the two. I really want an SUV but I think a mini van might be more reasonable.

I babysit and pick up extra kids after school.
On any given weekday I can have 1rf carseat, 2 forward facing carseats and a booster seat (or two).

Typically I keep my two kids (1 rf and 1ff carseat) in the middle row and any of my "extra kids" go in the very back.

In my mini van the middle seats are captains chairs so it is easy for kids to climb to the third row. It is also easy for me to climb back to the third row to strap kids in.

But with an SUV kids would have to climb over a bench seat or I would have to fold a seat down (which isn't possible with two carseats in the middle..)

by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this
I suggest that you invest $10 into a Consumer Report online subscription so you can get a professional an unbiased opinion. You'll notice a clear cut choice if you read their reports
leakymommy2
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:20 AM

My dh sales new Hyundai. They good thing about Hyundai is that they aren't paid commission like other dealers. Dh doesn't care if you buy from him or Joe Schmo down the street. He wants you to be in the right car no matter what. I have been driving my Hyundai Tucson since '05. It still runs great and I have never had a problem. Dh drives a genesis, not what you're looking for, and it's awesome. He rarely lets me drive it though....it was to expensive lol

leakymommy2
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:21 AM

You can pm if you want :) I know a little about Hyundai but dh would be more than willing to give you advice 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:25 AM
I have a Kia and its great! I got in a big car crash (almost totaled my car) and felt nothing from the inside. I walked outside and the whole outside was messed up. The car took the damage and kept us safe (two kids).
Ms.Pteranodon
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Does the Tuscan have a 3rd row?

Also do they offer SUVs with captains chairs in the middle?

Quoting leakymommy2:

My dh sales new Hyundai. They good thing about Hyundai is that they aren't paid commission like other dealers. Dh doesn't care if you buy from him or Joe Schmo down the street. He wants you to be in the right car no matter what. I have been driving my Hyundai Tucson since '05. It still runs great and I have never had a problem. Dh drives a genesis, not what you're looking for, and it's awesome. He rarely lets me drive it though....it was to expensive lol

hautemama83
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Kia and hyundai are the same. So you'd be better off going with which gives you the options you want.
angie729
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Check out www.edmunds.com it is an awesome site with a ton of info on all cars and you can compare them. Personally I would not buy a kia.

Ms.Pteranodon
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:34 AM
My dh may already have a subscription. When I said I plan on reading consumer reports, I meant him. *big grin*

He's going to do all the boring research on which is better, but he wants me to get opinions from owners, and preferably other moms since I will be the one driving whatever we buy.

Make sense?

Quoting Anonymous:

I suggest that you invest $10 into a Consumer Report online subscription so you can get a professional an unbiased opinion. You'll notice a clear cut choice if you read their reports

Meghan6391
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:38 AM

i have an 02 santa fe and it has not gave me any problems and i love it!!! 

Ms.Pteranodon
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:39 AM
I know Kia had some problems between 02-05 but I they j they've gotten better.

Honestly I would prefer a Chevy or Dodge..

But dh wants the extra 30k miles bumper to bumper warranty.

Quoting angie729:

Check out www.edmunds.com it is an awesome site with a ton of info on all cars and you can compare them. Personally I would not buy a kia.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)