Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you only had....

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:40 AM
  • 30 Replies
... A $100 to feed your family for 2 weeks could you do it?
There is 4 of us and we have been struggling lately. Husband lost his job a month ago and he finally found another one (a better one) and starts on Wednesday. Right now funds are short until he gets paid and we get bak on track and we have $100 for groceries and I have to make it last for at least 2 weeks.
I am really good at budgeting an meal planning so I know I can do it, was just curious if others can too!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PoisonEyeV
by Sapphire Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Yeah maybe if we limited the amount of food we consumed each day and ate a few of the same things for 2 weeks in a row, sure. We typically need $80-100 every week for a family of 4. 

AbigailJ89
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Before my husband lost his job we would spend about $100 a week too. Can't wait to get back to that.

Quoting PoisonEyeV:

Yeah maybe if we limited the amount of food we consumed each day and ate a few of the same things for 2 weeks in a row, sure. We typically need $80-100 every week for a family of 4. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
m0mmy0ftw02012
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I feed my family for that amount. I shop at save-a-lot and they have great deals on food. so instead of paying a boat load on food just cause its new brand.... last week they had chicken legs 89 cent a lb...... pork roast or pull pork was 99 cent a lb.... milk 2.99 each and mac and cheese 39 cent!!! and its all good food :D

Bonnie_
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Yep

sfigu16
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Yes baby

Rice and beans until we get back on our feet. its doable 

Bluescorpia
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Ramen noodles, rice & beans, frozen veggies & tons of meat to get us through.
ProudMommaBear
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:47 AM
If it were just DD and I, sure!

if you include all the people I live with, no.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:47 AM
No we average 200 a week for one part time kid, two adults a 5yr old and an 11 month old their ages are important because they don't eat much so its ridiculous to me that we go through that much food. The hubs and I are tiny people too its not like we eat a ton either.
niki_hubbard
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Yes... I did $60 for a week shopping at Meijer, and put four meals worth of extra meat in my freezer (sale, it is processed meat like saugages, and a pack of pork steak, but when you are shopping cheap..) as well. It can be done if you shop sales and meal plan. No pop tarts or cereal, have toast. That kind of thing,

kris0921
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Yes every 2wks for us is about 80. We are a family of 4 and no pa!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)