Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

25 cent raise and she lost her FS and medicaid

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 197 Replies

My daughter is a single mom of 3.  She didn't chose to be a single mom of 3.  Her DH left her for another man.  Her high school sweetheart (since they were 15) decided after 10 years and 3 kids, he wanted to date a guy.  He will not pay his child support, he says she makes enough and he provides for them at his house so he isn't paying it.  CSE is dragging their feet on prosecuting him.  

So, the beginning of last month her boss tells her it is time for her raise and she is going to get 25cents on the hour and actually asks her if she wants it.  She said yes and didn't even think about it.  $10 per week.  No big deal, right?

Like she is supposed to, she reported the increase to her case worker.  She gets $360 a month in food stamps and medicaid for her kids.  Or rather got.  She got the letter last week that the $10 more each week she makes, which she is NOT seeing at all because it bumped her taxes up, now takes her over the income limits.  

For $40, she lost $360 in food stamps and the kids medicaid.  Her insurance through work for a family plan is $350.    

So the 25cent raise is actually making her bring home about $25 LESS on her paychecks.  She lost her $360 in FS, and now has to pay out $350 to have insurance.  $760 basically.  Over 25 cents an hour.

She was already stretching every $1 she had to make ends meet.  She brings home about $1500 a month.  Her rent is $800 a month, which is average for a 3 bedroom, 2 bath apartment.  Her car is almost paid for, another year at $300 a month.  She doesn't have internet at home, she doesn't have DISH, DirecTV or cable.  She uses the Walmart Family mobile plan ($40 a month) for her one phone.  I watch her kids for free.  Her utilities run about $200 (electric, water, sewer)  She also has student loans of $75 a month.  That leaves her $85 each month to pay her car insurance and buy gas.  With now having to buy groceries and pay for the insurance, it is going to put her in the hole by $600-$800 each month.       

She is a college graduate.  She went to school to become a phlebotimist then a medical assistant and had just enrolled in school to start her nursing degree when her husband left.  (She had to drop those courses)  She has no idea what she is going to do.  

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Krysta622
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:30 PM
That sucks.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this
She should check to see if she qualify for housing authority.
pregnantmama105
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:32 PM

i hope everything works out for her!

MommaGreenhalge
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:32 PM
8 moms liked this

This is what people don't get about the working poor.  I would be on the phone or at the office every single day to report the deadbeat dad who isn't paying child support, and I would call a lawyer (there are lots who will take pro bono cases) to talk about amending the custody agreement that he only gets visits if he's paying CS.  I'm angry for her.

RMB2011
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this
That's ridiculous! How does $40 more a month cancel out the rest of it? I'm sorry the system sucks honey.
ShellLea
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Living in a city that has a majority of low income families I see this a lot. I've listened to mothers cry because they're stuck. If they try to climb the ladder to make enough money to support their kids on their own they could lose medical coverage, or at least adequate coverage, for quite some time. It's heartbreaking.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

She should check to see if she qualify for housing authority.

She is on the list but it is at minimum 18 months wait.  She has to get with them to see if she still qualifies since she no longer qualifies for FS and medicaid.  She does still qualify for her WIC, thankfully.

funlovinlady
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Is she working in the field she graduated from?

katemckenzie
by Kate on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:36 PM
In MI you only have to report change in income if it changes by $50 or more a month... That's a really sad situation.
Jadesmommy13
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:38 PM
What state does she live in?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN