Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Please tell me how to put my dog down without pain or fear of death.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 106 Replies
I DO NOT WANT TO. He is the sweetest, best dog I've ever had.

He was abused and has severe stranger anxiety bc of it. I had to leave for a week and left him with someone I trust. While I was gone my dog bit two people. As far as I know, they did not report the bites (he is up to date on all shots). I don't know if anything will come of it, but I cannot let this happen to anyone else.

I don't want to bring him to the vet to put him down, he is scared of the vet. I don't want to shoot him. I want to be alone with him for a few days, then feed him a laced steak and let him fall asleep and stay asleep.

I can't see through my tears. Please give me advice.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cmgmqmmom
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:37 PM
There is no humane way to poison an animal. Take him to the vet. I'm so sorry. =(
beerabitch69
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:37 PM
2 moms liked this

oh STFU

kailu1835
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Sometimes you can get a vet to come to your house to help you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Ummm take him to the vet.
LitNut
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Sorry, but there is not much you can do other than the vet. I know a lot of places will send the vet to you if you'd rather do it at home. You have to call and ask them about it, though. I'm sorry.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Because hiring a trainer is out of the question?

lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Well on one hand a gun is quick, one the other hand if you go to a vet they just fall asleep in your lap. Give him some Benadryl before going to the vet.

Have you tried rehoming him or taking he to a behaviorist? I vote vet as a last resort.

Please don't poison your dog it may not work out the way you want.
thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Take him to the vet. You dont even know proper doses to do it in a humane way, you could do more harm than good. I dont know why everyone thinks overdosing is such a peaceful way to go. Its often not peaceful at all, do some research.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bethsunshine
by Emerald Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I understand your fear. We  had to have our cat put down this past March and I didn't want to take her to the vet because she has always been terrified of riding in the car. We looked at other ways of doing it so that we wouldn't have to take her but there was no humane way. The most humane way was to take her to the vet. By then, she was so tired, that she didn't fight or seem afraid. She had lost her hearing and sight so she didn't realize what was going on. That made it a little easier, because she didn't fight.

The most humane thing to do is take him to the vet. He won't be in pain.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I've tried! I've even sent emails to Cesar Millan. Nobody knows how to deal with him. He's compulsive. He bites doorknobs and chases his tail. He is extremely anxious. If you know someone on the east coast, please give me their number.

I have rearranged my life to keep my dog away from people. I sleep with him every night. He protected me from an abusive husband. This is MY DOG and my friend. This was not a decision made quickly or thoughtlessly.

Quoting Anonymous:

Because hiring a trainer is out of the question?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)