Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Self Removal of IUDs? *update*

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:46 PM
  • 101 Replies
1 mom liked this
Has anyone done it?

I've had the Paragard for a couple months now, and its been nothing but nonstop cramping and bleeding. I can't even stand up for a length of time because the backache is so bad. I'm a stylist, I have to be on my feet all day. I can't even do my job because of this demon T.

Anyway, I don't have health insurance right now, and when I called my doc to ask how much it would cost for removal, I'm looking at around $450. There's no planned parenthood in my area that deals with IUDs, just pills and depo, so they can't do it for me.

Is it possible to remove it myself? I mean, I know its possible, but is it dangerous to do?

*update*
I did it. Took a shower, tried to get a grab on the strings but it was way too slimy up there to get a good hold, so I shot some water up there to rinse it out a bit, and grabbed a rubber glove for more grip. Grabbed the string pretty easily after that and it slid right out totally painlessly.
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
daisybaby91
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:47 PM
I wouldnt :/
allsolittle
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:48 PM
I did it by accident.
katemckenzie
by Kate on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:49 PM
How so?

Quoting allsolittle:

I did it by accident.
Bluescorpia
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:49 PM
It is dangerous to try to remove it yourself. I had a hard time finding a Dr to remove my mirena. Good luck finding a Dr that will work with you on this.
bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:49 PM
I had the mirena and removed it myself. It took me a couple minutes and was completely painless.
katemckenzie
by Kate on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this
What should I do? I don't have $450 lying around...

Quoting daisybaby91:

I wouldnt :/
katemckenzie
by Kate on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:50 PM
Why couldn't you find one who would remove it?

Quoting Bluescorpia:

It is dangerous to try to remove it yourself. I had a hard time finding a Dr to remove my mirena. Good luck finding a Dr that will work with you on this.
katemckenzie
by Kate on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:50 PM
You didn't injure yourself?
How did you do it?

Quoting bmw29:

I had the mirena and removed it myself. It took me a couple minutes and was completely painless.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Going anon for this, but I did it. My dr left the strings long on my mirena so I could grab them. I reached in there, grabbed the strings, and gently pulled. It came out just like a tampon, no pain, nothing. Within a couple days I was feeling like my old self again.

I wouldn't exactly recommend it because if yours has become embedded it could end very badly. If you do try it, stop immediately if you feel any pain.
ame85
by Chemistry cat on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I pulled mine out because it was already halfway out. It caused me no pain whatsoever.

Here's the thing. All the doctor does is gently pull the strings until it comes out. However, in the event if perforation, you would need surgery to remove it.

If you do it, have someone there so they can call 911 in case it gets stuck or is lodged in your uterus.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)