Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fix it myself or call my land lord Monday?

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:52 PM
  • 21 Replies

My heater won't work.  Its gas, last year I had to light it and it started to work.  

Its finally cold enough to turn it on, so I go to do it and it won't go on.  I opened it up and it was lit.  So, I messed with the thermostat a little and it was like no gas was going through the pipe thing when I turned it up.  So, then I turned it up more and freaking flames shot out (my house didn't burn down).  Then the pilot turned off but my house started to smell like gas so I completely shut everything down.  

Anyway the point is obviously normally I'd wait for the land lord but its going to be a long cold weekend!  Should I try and figure it out myself (anyone have any advice on how to fix it) or should I just wait until Monday? 

****Just called the property manager, there was no after hours phone number so I left a message, I hope they check their messages this weekend!**

*** Just called my uncle who is out of town until late tonight he is going to stop by and take a look if my land lord doesn't call me back**

You know you want it

by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aimlee
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:53 PM

wait. if you do more damage (set house on fire) you will be blamed! Try calling and see if they can come earlier as an emergency call.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:54 PM
There's no way to get a hold of the landlord? If you have prove that he's unreachable then you could just call someone to fix it and take it off your rent.
.betty.white.
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Oh no damage was done, flames just shot out lol.  

Ok I'll call once my phone finishes the dang update.  Burrrr I'm so cold!

Quoting aimlee:

wait. if you do more damage (set house on fire) you will be blamed! Try calling and see if they can come earlier as an emergency call.

You know you want it

.betty.white.
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Its a property managment place.  Generally I have to leave a vm.  I've never had a weekend situation like this though. 

Quoting Anonymous:

There's no way to get a hold of the landlord? If you have prove that he's unreachable then you could just call someone to fix it and take it off your rent.

You know you want it

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:55 PM

CAll the landlord TODAY! If you smell gas, don't mess with it!!  

There have been 2 house explosions in the area because of people trying to light their furnaces in the past month near me.  

3JuJu3
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:55 PM

No heat is an emergency call.  Do you go through a property management company or did you rent from an individual?  Either way, they should take care of this within 24 hours if possible.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Call now and tell them the furance is out, and hopefully they'll have some one to check it out tonight or tomorrow. Our furance just went out and all it needed was a new fan (it would turn on, then click off)

.betty.white.
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I turned off the gas thing so its disabled.  

Quoting Anonymous:

CAll the landlord TODAY! If you smell gas, don't mess with it!!  

There have been 2 house explosions in the area because of people trying to light their furnaces in the past month near me.  

You know you want it

lunabella79
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:56 PM
They may have an emergency number. Call them ASAP and explain that you smell gas.

Quoting .betty.white.:

Its a property managment place.  Generally I have to leave a vm.  I've never had a weekend situation like this though. 

Quoting Anonymous:

TAG_ur_it
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:56 PM

the heat is the responsibility of the landlord.  call him.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)