Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do any other women have husbands/SO who work a lot?

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 4:03 PM
  • 48 Replies

I've been dealing with my husband's work schedule for a long time now; I should be used to it. But, I'm not! I still feel lonely and almost like I'm not even married. He works six days a week, leaves at about 7am and gets home after 9pm. He has his own business. I feel like he loves to work and that's great. It's his livliehood and he's great at what he does. But, what about the kids and I?! When he is home, it's very hard for us to connect because of the lack of time we've spent together. Also, he hates to talk on the phone or even take a couple of minutes to connect during the day and evenings. I've already beat that issue into the ground as well.

Honestly, it makes me feel very unwanted. I really want romance and love and feel that I deserve it. But, without my man essentially in my life, I don't get my needs met. I feel like I'm a good looking woman, I'm educated, meet his and my kids' everyday needs and bend over backwards to meet him for lunch (with all of his guys) when he has a precious minute to spare. So why is this so hard?

I do other things to occupy my time so it's not like I'm just sitting at home twidling my thumbs. I work at school, hang out with friends, have playdates, take care of my home, visit with family, etc.

I've expressed my frusturation over and over throughout our relationship and it's really no use. This is the way he is and I accept him for it. I just want to be able to get over it completely.

Do any of you ladies have husbands or SO that work a ton? How do you deal with the lonlieness?

by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 4:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MIA0223
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 4:04 PM
I usually am.ok with it but to be honest, what you wrote is what I am feeling lately :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 26, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Yep. He a stock broker on wall street

Leaves the house at 6am and gets home around 9. Mon to Friday. Works some sat and is Off Sunday's

MObey is great
MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 4:07 PM
His work schedule is Monday to Friday 0800-1700. He leaves at 0700 and gets home around 1800. So I DO see him, but not as much as I'd like.. I work 1400-2200 most days, so.. Boo.
JealousGrrl
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 4:07 PM
Dh works all the time. I know the feeling. I just keep in mind that he's doing it for the family.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 26, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Yes my husband works a lot. I just hope that it's worth it in the end for us with retirement, money, etc.
3JuJu3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 4:12 PM

My dh has the normal 40 hr work week.  He works for the state so they are careful not to pay over time.  He has to periodically go for training though, so sometimes he'll be gone for a week or two.  When he first started he had to be gone for a month. Those times were difficult. 

mammakittykat
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 4:13 PM

My husband works a lot, but we are used to it with him being prior military. For us though we still try our best to find time to connect. Like right now he is away at school and we skype every night before bed. And when he is home, on his days off during the week while the kids are in school if I am off we spend the day together.(Going out to luch, shopping, hanging out at home) And when he is off on the weekends we get out and do stuff as a family. I really don't know what to tell you. On the days that he works we leave each other little love notes on sticky notes. It is always nice to see a post it note on the steering wheel of my car or on my nook, or even on the bathroom mirror. We have been married for 13 years and have more passion now for eachother than we did when we first got married. You just have to get creative and find out what works for ya'll.

hgibsonorc
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I try to be okay with it mostly, as well. But, lately it's really getting to me. He accepted all of these big projects (which is great for the business) but he has completely immersed himself in his work.

Quoting MIA0223:

I usually am.ok with it but to be honest, what you wrote is what I am feeling lately :(

hgibsonorc
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Gosh...I do try! :)

Quoting JealousGrrl:

Dh works all the time. I know the feeling. I just keep in mind that he's doing it for the family.

Alyia72
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Yeah mine works 10-14 hour days mostly six days a week sometimes Sundays as well. It sucks but the money is great.. To make things harder we have two year old triplets and an 8 year old.  I'm pretty much doing it all by myself.. Some weeks he only works 9-10 hour days so hes home by 4pm.  When he does he spends a lot of time with us but these weeks where he works 12+ hours a day suck suck suck lol... I don't know how I deal with it I really don't.  I text him at work a lot about stupid shit throughout the day even if its stuff I know he doesn't care about lol.. Like today I have sent him pictures of our daughters Halloween costume in progress several times... Hes like "cute" lol... As for being lonely I guess I'm lucky in that aspect that I am constantly busy with the girls I don't have time to sit and think about how much I miss him being here.  It kinda gets to me when our oldest says she misses daddy..but it is what it is and hes doing it for us.  I just try to remember that its not always like this and the shorter days are soon to come again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured