Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you supplement your child's education at home or just leave it up to the school?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 71 Replies

I was with some friend's and kids who go to my DD's school today. We were talking about the school. I'm extremely happy with her school. The children are in second grade.

One of the parents said that she's not happy with the academics and that she didn't want to home-school.

It's a charter school. It's very child-oriented. Offers a lot with being supportive. It's a huge community. Academic wise, it isn't like a public school. It's project-based. A LOT of projects that we're supposed to do with them at home. I love the projects. DD loves the projects.  The only "real" homework she gets so far (school is entering it's third month in session) is one work sheet of math a week and her spelling words. It will get harder as the year progresses.

So, if you base it off of that and off the test scores. The academics are not that great. With everything else it offers, I felt that was something we could deal with when we chose the school. (They spend at least two hours a day outside either gardening or playing. I -love- that).

So, we supplement at home with our own worksheets, online games and and what not. We knew we had to do that when we chose the school.

I was just really surprised when she said that because my philosophy (and DH's) is that we should be supplementing at home anyway. Whether public, private or charter.

Do you supplement or just do the homework and that's it? I was just, I don't know, taken aback I guess.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:53 PM
We supplement a lot. But the school requires it. Parents are in charge of creating the majority of the homework.
kitty8199
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Mine is doing abcmouse.com now. Getting to help her her better education.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katzmeow726
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:54 PM

We home school...I figured if we were going to have to supplement at home, which we would have to dosince our local schools are so terrible, I may as well do it myself!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Our school doesn't do that, but I do feel that it's an unspoken rule that we are to supplement at home.

Quoting purpleducky:

We supplement a lot. But the school requires it. Parents are in charge of creating the majority of the homework.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:55 PM

We supplement at home.  We use the Summer Bridge program and we reinforce what they're learning in class at the time with studying and oral quizzes.  They go to private school.

12345abcde54321
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:56 PM

i teach things like study skills, personal responsibility and other life skills type stuff at home. my sons are advanced when it comes to the course content, so i leave that up to the school and focus on other things that i think they could use improvement on.

happykitty316
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I don't supplement.  I have an ADHD child and a dyslexic child - it takes everything I have each night to get both kids successfully through homework, prepared for spelling tests, 20 minutes of reading.  There is no time for them to do much more.  

Mrswalker2012
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:56 PM
Yes whenever I see him struggling in something I find extra things for him to do at home
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:57 PM

My oldest gets my college science books as I finish the classes. I also purchase material as I can find it to keep him challenged. The school is great and gives him extra work when he requests it. He is working on 8th grade material in 6th grade. 

My middle son (1st grade) struggles with reading, so we supplement at home with extra books. And I give him Kindle Free time with books that are interactive and read with him. 

My daughter is only in K. She pretty much makes up her own homework. 

When I find worksbooks that are age appropriate and a bit older, I purchase them and let them have acces to them. 

lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:57 PM
We supplement quite a bit. I love DS's school but don't think the learning has to stop there. DS craves new things.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)