Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Leaving daycare kids home so i can shop peacefully

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies

Not as bad as it sounds. I babysit for a family of 4. 6 months, 2 years, 5 years, 13 years.

The youngest 3 are little angels. 2&5 always use manners, are super polite, sweet and quiet. They walk by the cart and don't ask for anything. Its kind of scary how quiet and well behaved they are lol. (I have 2 year old twins. I never hear a moment of silence with them)  The 13 year old is a good kid, and hes healthy. Hes not ADHD, autistic, etc...But you really couldn't tell that hes normal. We were walking wal-mart today to get some groceries. He embarrassed me to the point I wanted to just walk out and never go back. The entire time

"OMG Lexi! Look. Its bread. Pretty bread. Isn't that nice bread"

LEXI LEXI LEXI Look! Its a baby! Look at the baby!"

"Lexi! Look its a subway sandwich Can i throw grapes at the sandwich"

"Look! Its a sponge. Hi sponge!"

"Lexi! Look at the cashier! Hi cashier!"

"Omg! I need to organize these candy bars. They can not be happy until they are organized!"

And it wasn't quietly. People were staring like he was a freakshow. He was SCREAMING these things. The entire 25 minute visit he was doing stuff like that. He would get right in peoples faces and wave and say HIIIIIIIIIII! and just act like a total little douche bag.

I never want to take him out again. Nothing is medically wrong with him. The second we got outside, it ended. I can take him to the movies, library, mall, park, waterpark, etc...And hes completly normal. He just thinks its funny to be a imature asshole in public. People were staring, rolling their eyes, pointing and talking about him. And the more attention they gave him, the worse it got.

I really just want to quit. The job pays great. I can take my kids to work with me so i'm never away from them, and the younger kids are great. But I can't stand him. Hes like this at home too it is just way worse in public. This isn't a one time thing either, today was just the worse.

I've told him how stupid he looks, and to grow up and act his age and he said "No. Its fun to embarrass you!" and goes on. He knows its wrong. He also knows his parents refuse to discipline him. I've watched his mom threaten to take away his xbox if he does something, and he will do it again right ahead of her and she just says whatever and sends him to his room...where the xbox is at. and that is the end of it.

I've told his parents and they just say "Well...hes a teenage boy. I will talk to him"

And then it got worse.

Any advice? They made it clear that he has to be with me when we go anywhere because he will get into everything if hes home alone. He also sneaks out to go  to his friends house if hes home alone.

ANY advice? Please.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TexanMomOf6
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:24 PM
4 moms liked this
Babysit for a different family? The parents aren't going to back you up.

You could do like I did. Copy the child. My dd was 10 and started yelling and acting up in Walmart. After reminding her how to behave she chose to continue. I sat down in the middle of the aisle and imitated her. She was embarrassed but remembered how to act in public for quite a while!

mlg1989
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Um... I would just keep telling the parents his behavior. Maybe there IS something wrong with him and he just has never been properly evaluated?
lilypad12788
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:29 PM
Hahaha! This sounds perfect OP.

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

Babysit for a different family? The parents aren't going to back you up.

You could do like I did. Copy the child. My dd was 10 and started yelling and acting up in Walmart. After reminding her how to behave she chose to continue. I sat down in the middle of the aisle and imitated her. She was embarrassed but remembered how to act in public for quite a while!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:30 PM
4 moms liked this
Tape his antics and tell him to cut the crap or the video may end up on you tube for the world to see.
Mish321
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:34 PM
1 mom liked this

He is doing it because he knows you are getting irritated and embarrassed by it. Maybe if you act like you don't really care he will stop. 

KrissyKC
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:34 PM
2 moms liked this

Telling him how stupid he is and grow up and act his age makes you more like a sister than an authority figure and he's going to act up more.

However, if you pull out the adult card and not act like a sister.   Instead say, "Hey, your behavior is unacceptable.  You are 13 years old, please control yourself."    If he keeps it up, don't acknowledge it anymore until you get home.   When you get home, stick him at the kitchen table and make your position clear.   Don't use words like stupid or grow up.   Instead, be mature yourself.

daughteroftruth
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, he is a teen age boy. He is doing it BECAUSE he gets an negative reaction from you. Ignore him and act like its no big deal and it will stop.

Bekki
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Tell his mom that unless his behavior changes you will take the others but NOT him. Maybe she will crack the whip if she's faced with no one to watch him.

.PinkHart.
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Why is he not in school?
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:38 PM

My advice, quit! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)