Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

No Homework Policy?

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:28 PM
  • 52 Replies

I recently found a job (yay me!). Unfortunately with me working full time again I had to take my daughter out of her K12 school and enroll her in the local school. My daughter would not have had the motivation to do school by herself, and leaving it till the evening wouldn't have worked either.

However her new school does not give any homework. We worked hard with the K12 school and her grades improved a lot. At the beginning of the school year she did reading, math, and science Scantrons and scored advanced in math, above average on the other two.

I'm just afraid she will not be getting a good education when they refuse to give homework!

Do any of you have kids in a school that does not assign homework?

Salem's Creations Blog | Like my blog on Facebook

The Wiccan Pen blog - Where I share my writing

Join my Pagan Fellowship FB Group

by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy0505
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Couldn't you still utilize the k12 program to suppliment at home?  

My son's middle school has k12 as an option, and he is only taking math virtually (during his regular school day). He works on his math during 10th period, but we also do it at home to make sure he's truly understanding it and staying on track (it's our first time with the program so I want to make sure it's adequate).  Could you still use it?

Or I guess you could just buy a couple workbooks and have her do some pages at home that support what she's learning in school...

SalemWitchChild
by Blessed be on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Not without paying for the program, which is expensive to do.

Quoting Mommy0505:

Couldn't you still utilize the k12 program to suppliment at home?  

My son's middle school has k12 as an option, and he is only taking math virtually (during his regular school day). He works on his math during 10th period, but we also do it at home to make sure he's truly understanding it and staying on track (it's our first time with the program so I want to make sure it's adequate).  Could you still use it?

Or I guess you could just buy a couple workbooks and have her do some pages at home that support what she's learning in school...

.PinkHart.
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:34 PM
2 moms liked this
Check out text books and assign her homework at home. Or print work sheets offline.
grouchymama
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:00 AM
My oldest goes to public school and I do child led enrichment at home. We create a goal based on a topic he likes. He wanted to write a nonfiction book and was interested in space so we created a flip book about the planets. My 5 yr old decided he wanted to read a book about each of the 50 states. I made them each a poster sized map and we color in the state and add the capitals as we read about them. My 5 &6 yr old can label a blank US map and know most of the capitals.

I wish they had no homework so we could spend more time on our projects at home. By studying things they are interested in it keeps learning exciting and fun.
mdviolet67
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:26 AM
What exactly is a K12 school? How old is your dd?
SalemWitchChild
by Blessed be on Oct. 27, 2013 at 8:34 AM

It's an online public school. She did most of her work on the PC. She is 12 and in 6th grade.

Quoting mdviolet67:

What exactly is a K12 school? How old is your dd?

Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 8:35 AM
5 moms liked this
Homework doesn't mean learning is happening. It just means work is happening.
Hanab818
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 8:37 AM
I didn't have much homework middle to high school. Reading and maybe a couple of worksheets here and there. Most of my teachers gave us time at the end of class to do our extra work. I say if she needs it you give it to her and grade it.
iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 8:38 AM
2 moms liked this
Imo no homework is better. I think homework (especially for young kids) is a bit ridiculous.
You can still supplement, ut if you're both working, I'd consider it a blessing as one less thing to do kn the evenings.
liltampa71
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 8:38 AM

My son is a K12 student, however has not always been.  Recent studies have shown that homework has little bearing on how much a kid progresses in school, and if overwhelming could hurt the child.

If you were close, I'd tell you to get to know me then send her over hear for school!  I love K12.  But it does require work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN