Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is my dog jealous of my baby?

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:49 PM
  • 12 Replies
At first I thought this dog was just being difficult and annoying. Now, I am wondering if he may be jealous or something. He has been peeing in the house but not just anywhere, only on my 8 month old son's things. First it was his play gym and now he is peeing on his clothes and his crib. When I catch Squeaker (the dog) peeing in the house I firmly say no and put him outside to finish then let him back in.
I do show him affection every time I get and I do allow him around my son, never unattended. I let my son show affection towards squeaker as well. Squeaker has seemed to really like my son. Bit he won't quit peeing on his things. I don't get it.
So what do you think? Is squeaker jealous, or am I reading too much into it?
I just don't want to brush it off and something happen to my baby.
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blue-heart
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Bump!
blue-heart
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Seriously? Nothing?
BeautyFull
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:10 AM
Yes, it is jealousy! My mom had a similar problem when she got another house dog. The well trained dog started peeing in the house.
AmesCSki
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:10 AM
Jealous dog. Hopefully your dog will get over it. Our dog was very jealous of our baby for awhile and our kiddo is now 18 months old and the dog doesn't seen to be jealous anymore. Give it time and give your furry baby lots of love. Sounds like you're doing everything right!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:13 AM

It isn't jealousy. It is your male dog telling your male son that he (the dog) is above him (the son) in the pecking order of the home. He is marking over the top of the scent of your son and telling everyone that those are his things, his territory. You are going to need to teach the dog that he isn't higher in the family pack as the child. 

blue-heart
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:20 AM
I hope he gets over it soon. I am tired of picking up peed on clothes.

Quoting AmesCSki:

Jealous dog. Hopefully your dog will get over it. Our dog was very jealous of our baby for awhile and our kiddo is now 18 months old and the dog doesn't seen to be jealous anymore. Give it time and give your furry baby lots of love. Sounds like you're doing everything right!
blue-heart
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:22 AM
If that is what he is doing, then how do I stop him? How do I put squeaker in his place without making him aggressive towards us or the baby?

Quoting Anonymous:

It isn't jealousy. It is your male dog telling your male son that he (the dog) is above him (the son) in the pecking order of the home. He is marking over the top of the scent of your son and telling everyone that those are his things, his territory. You are going to need to teach the dog that he isn't higher in the family pack as the child. 

blue-heart
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Squeaker is 5 years old, we have had him his whole life. And the only time he has ever pottied in the house since he was a pup was when he was sick. But he is healthy, nothing is wrong with him. I am going to give him some extra love and attention.

Quoting BeautyFull:

Yes, it is jealousy! My mom had a similar problem when she got another house dog. The well trained dog started peeing in the house.
BeautyFull
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:57 AM
Good luck.

Quoting blue-heart:

Squeaker is 5 years old, we have had him his whole life. And the only time he has ever pottied in the house since he was a pup was when he was sick. But he is healthy, nothing is wrong with him. I am going to give him some extra love and attention.

Quoting BeautyFull:

blue-heart
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:12 AM
Thanks!

Quoting BeautyFull:

Good luck.

Quoting blue-heart:

Quoting BeautyFull:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)