Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

EDITED: People who vacation without their kids shouldn't have become parents

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 170 Replies

Ugh. A woman I know is on a mommycation. (Girls spa weekend). I'm judging her hard. She comments on me being weird for not posting 568435775 pictures of my son (as if that means I don't love him and am not proud of him). So yeah I'm judging her!

Edit : Okay - so apparently this post blew up while I was sleeping!  I changed the title from "judging a friend" to what it is now, becuase there were ZERO responses, so I decided I would use an attention grabbing title instead.

I do NOT think vacationing without your kids makes you a bad parent, nor do I judge women/men who do this.  While I could NOT vacation without my son, I do other things by myself to recharge.  I get my hair/nails done, and go for drives.  (The ONE thing I miss about not being a mommy is being able to crank up the radio and drive with the windows down.  So - twice a week I go for a 15 minute drive and crank up the volume.)  I get plenty of alone time, but at this point, I doubt I will ever vacation without my children.  

My parents do not know how to be around babies, as I'm adopted - so they will never be around my children alone until they are 5/6.  My in laws will also never be around my children alone because they have proved time and time again that they cannot respect boundaries or rules, and my FIL gives off a serious sexual predator vibe......SO - those facts alone make it impossible for us to vacation without the kids even if we wanted to.  However, neither my husband or myself like the idea.  (I'm not saying this will change when we have more kids and the kids get older, but for now our one son will come with us on any vacation we take.)

And for those of you who asked, I'm 26 (27 in 2 months), my husband will be 30 in November and my son is eight months old.  Other than my husband there is ONE person I trust to watch my son without any supervision.  I'm not a helicopter parent, but I was sexually abused ad my biological mother did nothing to protect me, so I probably am a little overprotective, but I think that's pretty normal given my childhood.  

So to recap - I do NOT think it's bad or irresponsible to vacation without your kids.  I made the post because I was irritated that someone who made it such a point to comment and berate ME for not blasting 32828292 pictures of my son on social media, to go to a spa for a weekend.  I don't think she's horrible, I don't think she loves her daughter any less than I love my son, but I was irritated as crap!

PS - I love how a lot of women called me a Mommy Martyr because I am far from it.  I know my post came off like that, but that was to get more responses.  I am far from a perfect parent and I know I will make mistakes, but I do try my best to give my son a healthy and well rounded life.  

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Bump
Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Nice title change

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:54 AM
Thanks. Needed attention grabber for more comments!

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Nice title change

LaughCryLive
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:54 AM
Yeah. Whatever.
christina0607
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:54 AM
5 moms liked this
Sounds like youre jealous.

Last year my husband and i went to disney world without the kids. We had a fucking awesome time!!
lalaboosh
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:55 AM
2 moms liked this
I'll be sure to remember this while I'm not giving a shit on my honeymoon.
mommyx2-2006
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:55 AM
I always feel guilty even thinking about it
elevator_chaos
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I took a little trip with my best friend this summer and left DH and the kids behind. There is nothing wrong with it at all.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:56 AM
2 moms liked this
I wouldn't enjoy it. I had kids because I want to share my life with them.

Quoting mommyx2-2006:

I always feel guilty even thinking about it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured