Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you be offended?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies
My late best friends mother is 61 and cares for her 2 grand daughters by herself. Before her husband and dd died they lived in a huge yet cramped 5 bedroom Victorian style home. It was cramped because they had a ton of stuff but it was manageable. Then the 3 of them needed to move. They had to move in to a 3 bedroom townhouse. The problem is that she is trying to make everything from her old house fit in her new tiny home.

It's a complete disaster over there. It stresses her out and it stresses her oldest grand daughter out.

I babysit her the girls before and after school and since I'm a stay at home mom I was thinking I could go over there a few hours a week and start cleaning and organizing everything.

She works a lot, is older, and has to deal with 2 grieving children as well as another daughter who is irresponsible. I want to help her but I don't want to offend her by implying that her house is a wreck.

Wwyd?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vetNmommy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:28 AM
1 mom liked this

She may be greatful for the help!  She has been through so much, just bring it up gently.  I think that is super sweet of you!

firebird78
by mystic moon on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:29 AM
1 mom liked this
I would offer and let her decide whether or not she needs/wants my help
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:29 AM
MYOB unless she asks for your help. Or shit at least offer first. I hate when people come to my home and move my shit around. (directed mostly at my MIL).
AuntieM
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:29 AM
I would offer to help her get organized. Tell her you know she and the children are going through a very hard time right now and you would like to help her get settled. Can she afford a storage unit for the things that won't fit?
WinterIsComing
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:30 AM
Does she complain about it or bring it up? If so, then the next time she brings it up, offer your assistance. Tell her that you would love to help her out because she's doing such a wonderful thing for her grandkids.
Other than that, I'm of no help.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:30 AM
Well obviously I'm not going to just start going through her stuff.

Quoting Anonymous:

MYOB unless she asks for your help. Or shit at least offer first. I hate when people come to my home and move my shit around. (directed mostly at my MIL).

thefiregoddess
by Optimus Prime on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Just offer, hey I know you have a lot on your plate right now and I am bored at home, would you mind if I cleaned your place too? Put it in a way that doesnt make it seem like you think her place is dirty, but that you are bored to tears and enjoy being helpful to others.

want10more
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:31 AM

oh cripes. you tell her she has to get ridda junk? she'll get defensive. possibly she's a hoarder? call the show? or call a professional organizer?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:34 AM
The way you worded it in the OP I wasn't sure. Some people are presumptuous enough to do just that.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well obviously I'm not going to just start going through her stuff.

Quoting Anonymous:MYOB unless she asks for your help. Or shit at least offer first. I hate when people come to my home and move my shit around. (directed mostly at my MIL).

autodidact
by Snarknado on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:41 AM

wtf did you think she's planning to do, break in and throw stuff out w/out permission?

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured