Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you be offended?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My late best friends mother is 61 and cares for her 2 grand daughters by herself. Before her husband and dd died they lived in a huge yet cramped 5 bedroom Victorian style home. It was cramped because they had a ton of stuff but it was manageable. Then the 3 of them needed to move. They had to move in to a 3 bedroom townhouse. The problem is that she is trying to make everything from her old house fit in her new tiny home.

It's a complete disaster over there. It stresses her out and it stresses her oldest grand daughter out.

I babysit her the girls before and after school and since I'm a stay at home mom I was thinking I could go over there a few hours a week and start cleaning and organizing everything.

She works a lot, is older, and has to deal with 2 grieving children as well as another daughter who is irresponsible. I want to help her but I don't want to offend her by implying that her house is a wreck.

Wwyd?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:26 AM
Replies (11-13):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:44 AM
Look at the post above yours dumbass

Quoting autodidact:

wtf did you think she's planning to do, break in and throw stuff out w/out permission?

Quoting Anonymous:MYOB unless she asks for your help. Or shit at least offer first. I hate when people come to my home and move my shit around. (directed mostly at my MIL).

Lil_Wolf
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:47 AM

This.

Quoting thefiregoddess:

Just offer, hey I know you have a lot on your plate right now and I am bored at home, would you mind if I cleaned your place too? Put it in a way that doesnt make it seem like you think her place is dirty, but that you are bored to tears and enjoy being helpful to others.

Or even if you just said that you know she has a lot on her is there anything you can do to help. No matter which way you put it, it is framed as genuine help rather than a judgement on her & her housekeeping.

susannah2000
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 4:17 AM

Quoting thefiregoddess:

Just offer, hey I know you have a lot on your plate right now and I am bored at home, would you mind if I cleaned your place too? Put it in a way that doesnt make it seem like you think her place is dirty, but that you are bored to tears and enjoy being helpful to others.

I wouldn't put it like that. Saying that you want to clean someone's house means that the house is dirty. No one would take it any differently. If she mentions it, OP could just say "what can I do to help? I have the time, and would really like to help any way I can."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)