Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

DO PARENTS STILL CHECK THEIR CHIDRENS HALLOWEEN CANDY BEORE THEY EAT IT???

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
When my siblings and I trick-or-treated my parents made sure to check the candy before we were even allowed to THINK about eating it. Anything from unwrapped candy, candy that was deformed in some way, out of date candy would be thrown out. And they always felt the candy for any razors or needles that some sick bastard may have tried hiding. So, do parents still do this? Do they still take the time to make sure that their candy a STRANGER has bought them is safe to eat? Do YOU inspect? We're trick-or-treating next week and YES I WILL BE CHECKING!!
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 27, 2013 at 7:10 AM
Replies (11-20):
Hellobabies
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 7:23 AM

I will be checking as well, my son is allergic to peanuts, and he is 3 so he typically tries to sneak pieces all night long. It drives my anxiety through the roof, and I walk around clutching the epipen like it's my best friend, but he loves all things Halloween so I will keep my panic attacks in check :)

hoponbunny
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 7:23 AM

We only go to people's houses that I know.  I have a 5, 4 and almost 10 month old so they don't need a lot of candy. But yes I will check their candy once they get a little older and want to go to more houses. 

Silvertears1275
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 7:23 AM

Not really.  We don't trick or treat at strangers' houses, we visit a few friends and family and then trunk or treat at a local church.  My kids are old enough anyway to know not to eat anything that doesn't look right.  I do go through their candy to put it up to keep them from eating it all in two days, but I don't inspect it.

smorgan865
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 7:27 AM
1 mom liked this
We check it too.

Does anyone know of anyone who has ever actually found anything?
chattymom3
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Sure do.

CampClan
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 7:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Like PP we only go to houses we know the people. But this year my church is doing a trunk or treat so if someone from my church tries to kill or poison a kid we're doomed. Buut seriously- this year will be fun. And I don't check. When I was growing up our police station offered free metaal detector scans of the candy!
CinnamonBunns84
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 7:31 AM
I sure hope they do
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2013 at 7:32 AM
My parents found needles in a bag of popcorn someone made. I don't understand it!!

Quoting smorgan865:

We check it too.

Does anyone know of anyone who has ever actually found anything?

rjmac88
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 7:32 AM
6 moms liked this
I do but I'm
Not crazy about it. There is not one single documented report of people putting razors in food or candy. And every single report of candy being poisoned.. Ended up that the FAMILY poisoned it. Not a stranger. I still don't let my kids eat unwrapped candy and such... mostly just for cleanliness reasons.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2013 at 7:33 AM
So you could go through the scan and have your candy checked? That's nice!

Quoting CampClan:

Like PP we only go to houses we know the people. But this year my church is doing a trunk or treat so if someone from my church tries to kill or poison a kid we're doomed. Buut seriously- this year will be fun. And I don't check. When I was growing up our police station offered free metaal detector scans of the candy!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)