Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

DO PARENTS STILL CHECK THEIR CHIDRENS HALLOWEEN CANDY BEORE THEY EAT IT???

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
When my siblings and I trick-or-treated my parents made sure to check the candy before we were even allowed to THINK about eating it. Anything from unwrapped candy, candy that was deformed in some way, out of date candy would be thrown out. And they always felt the candy for any razors or needles that some sick bastard may have tried hiding. So, do parents still do this? Do they still take the time to make sure that their candy a STRANGER has bought them is safe to eat? Do YOU inspect? We're trick-or-treating next week and YES I WILL BE CHECKING!!
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 27, 2013 at 7:10 AM
Replies (501-510):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 75 on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Better safe THAN sorry.

What you said implies that you will be sorry after you are safe.

Quoting Nerys-Kianna:

I always do. Better safe then sorry.

Nerys-Kianna
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Yeah, sorry, pushed the wrong key, happens. Will fix it. Thanks

Quoting Anonymous:

Better safe THAN sorry.

What you said implies that you will be sorry after you are safe.

Quoting Nerys-Kianna:

I always do. Better safe then sorry.

miracle0618
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 12:49 PM
This is my son first Halloween he is 1 yr old so NO candy for him unless I know he can eat it... but the rest to ME! Lol he doesn't need all that candy lol he has grandma, uncle, daddy and me to split the share! Lol bad mommy hehe
supercarp
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:40 PM

I know all of my neighbors; we have a neighborhood association. It was an urban legend about razor blades in apples.

katie23VA
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Do you check their food at restaurants? Kids are a lot more likely to be poisoned when eating out than they are by halloween candy. In fact, there is no record of any child ever being hurt in this way. If its wrapped, not worried.
Bellarose0212
by Gold Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 1:41 AM

I have read several times that the razor blades and needles thing was all urban legend. No documented cases. I'm a little confused about how you would check for that anyway. Is it just inside the packaging? If so, then wouldn't your kid of a certain age see it before eating? Is it inside the candy? If so, then how would you see it?

I remember being told growing up to check our own candy. I guess I did and nothing was ever found. We threw away candy with loose wrappers, etc, but I didn't think the candy had been poisoned, just disturbed in the jostle and therefore gross. lol.

My daughter eats about one piece of candy every year and sometimes that piece ends up being some of the candy we ordered from the naturalcandystore. Other times, I recall, it has been a single lollipop.

This year, we are going to a children's museum. There will still be candy and she will likely eat about one piece, but it will all be distributed by staff so I'm not too worried.

mommyof3832
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:58 PM
We trunk or treat with the churches. And family,and some close family friends. Yes I still check.
ivy801
by Gold Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Yep and if she eats a piece while she's trick or treating we are cutting it short. She did that 2 years ago and I was furious at her.
berlgirl1224
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Yes, I check. After trick or treating the kids go to bed and the husband and I raid their stuff.  We pile it all together and sort it by chocolate, suckers, gummies, and other stuff (like skittles, m&ms, sour patch kids). then we will check them all. The kinda opened ones get tossed (or mishapened, melted, whatever). then the candy is split evenly between the kids, both getting the same amount of everything.  Extras are mine and the husband's. 

GloBug62
by Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:22 AM

My son is totally OCD about stuff like that. He will freak out if he eats food that is expired by a day. He would never eat candy that was already opened or candy that wasn't wrapped by the company itself. I don't have to check his candy. Though I have a few times.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)