Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I do MY job, why don't YOU do yours?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 225 Replies
12 moms liked this
Two kids; one is in enrichment kindergarten, the other is in second grade. I work full time.

They come home with about an hour or two of homework each. Here's what I don't understand.

I do the kids' homework, I make sure they're well rested for school. I make sure they do their reading. I feed them a nourishing meal. I discipline them.

If I am able to get ALL this done in the THREE hour span I have them, what on earth are they doing at school? How can YOU not provide them with enough education in the SIX hours you are with them? Why do I have another TWO hours on top of it?

Seems to me someone isn't pulling their weight.

I do not DO their homework. I meant be with them while the homework is being done. I'm normally also cooking or cleaning at the same time but I'm there to make sure it's done and done correctly.

Holy cow! That's a lot of responses. Anyway, here's why I have an issue with it. As a family, we get home around 4:40-5:00p. And, that's with a pretty good FT job.

If they had a half hour of homework - we'd be able to have all of it done by 5:30. They could go outside and BE KIDS. But, not its a rush to get everything done in the evening.

Kids deserve to go outside and play. They shouldn't spend an extra 1-2 hours doing homework. Period.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like its your kids. Homework is to reinforce what they've learned all day, not for mommy to do it for them
Light.Shine
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:47 AM
10 moms liked this

two hours of homework is ridiculous...

ProudMommaBear
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Why are you doing they're homework? And it shouldn't take them that long to do it if they understand the homework.
PestPatti
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Why are you doing their homework ?  Helping them is one thing, doing it for them is another.  Doing it for them, doesn't help them. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:49 AM
7 moms liked this

I work at the school I can't answer you though since that is not the area I work in. I have wondered that myself. I think they have them all day long and they work them hard at school I see that but I think they need time with family and not all that homework stuff. They have them and when they are home we should have them.

stephensmommy06
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:49 AM
Umm it only takes my DS maybe 30mins to do his homework...and that includes the 20 mins of reading...
lwalker270
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:50 AM
6 moms liked this
Rather than making assumptions, why not discuss it with the teacher if you have concerns.

Homework is to reinforce what they've learned in class, but an hour or two a night is excessive.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I have to agree.  I am gone for 13 hours a day at my job so homework falls onto my husband, who also works full time.  They do at least 2 hours of homework a night plus reading.  My son is only in the 3rd grade.  I can't imagine what it will be like when we have a second in school, too. 

notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

wait you do your kids homework for them?

fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:51 AM
3 moms liked this

*eye roll* they are learning for 6hrs a day 5 days a week.  This is sim

ply to reinforce everything they have learned that day.  You are not doing their job.  No way is a kidergartner having two hrs of homework a night.  What is a typical nights homework look like that it takes two hrs a night?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)