Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you only buy your kids toys on holidays?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 123 Replies

I have a 3 yo little boy and I don't know if I'm doing it wrong. I remember only getting toys on holidays, like Christmas and birthdays. But in the past year I've gotten my son a tablet and a wii. Just because I thought he would like them. I bought the tablet because I wanted him to be distracted on a plane ride with DH to his parents. And I got the wii because the PS3 we have is not really for younger kids IMO and all he talked about was wanting to play mario. My husband is a computer programmer and told me that our son would be better suited with the wii. Anyways, should I have waited till Christmas? Is it bad parenting to buy your kids toys whenever?

I do like the tablet because I can download my school books on there and I use it for school quite a bit. But I don't really use the wii all that often. IDK what do you ladies think?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ermka
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:30 PM
We typically save big purchases for holidays. but my kids have summer birthdays, so every 6 months they get their toy fix. Throughout the year it's more books, games and movies.
shadow_lark
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:30 PM
I think you should do what's right for you. We don't buy only on holidays. If we did the kids would get all of their toys within a month or two in the year and be tired of them way before the next holiday. But we also dont go overboard. They will get a toy every once in a while.
TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this
We buy random things through the year
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:32 PM

I'm thinking maybe I should've waited on the wii. I do want my son to learn that he has to earn things in life and maybe just getting him stuff just because, might not be a good idea. 

Quoting ermka:

We typically save big purchases for holidays. but my kids have summer birthdays, so every 6 months they get their toy fix. Throughout the year it's more books, games and movies.

ashli488
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:33 PM
yes only because shes only 3 and already has a massive amount of toys as it is and thats from grandparent and aunts, i rarely buy her clothes either, my sister buys her a lot of her clothes, she finds really cute and cheap stuff at outlets and sends them to her. but i know im gonna have a hard time, getting her to get rid of some of her toys this year, because of christmas coming up, and half the toys in her room she doesnt even play with anymore...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Yes and birthdays
NiamhWitch
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:34 PM

We normally save toy purchases for holidays and birthdays... but sometimes it's nice getting a random gift in between. :-)

My poor sister has a Christmas birthday... so she really only gets gifts once a year.

blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:35 PM
No, he gets toys through out the year.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:36 PM
We buy random small items through out the year. But anything major is given at Christmas. :) we just bought him a tablet and filled it with his favorite apps from our phones. I can't wait to give it to him. :) he's eight btw
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I think I might've gone a little overboard. I was just really excited to get it for him. I'm terrible at buying gifts and actually waiting till the holiday to give it. That's why I gotta shop last minute to buy stuff. lol I think just buying books and waiting till holidays for big ticket stuff is better, like you suggested. 

Quoting shadow_lark:

I think you should do what's right for you. We don't buy only on holidays. If we did the kids would get all of their toys within a month or two in the year and be tired of them way before the next holiday. But we also dont go overboard. They will get a toy every once in a while.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)