Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

child abuse in movies

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
Do you think it has long lasting effects? Or do you think that since its not a life time event, it doesn't matter?

I was watching Precious last night. Crap, can't think of the mom's name... but the case worker came, and she (Monique?) was holding the toddler girl who has down.syndrome, I think..... after the case worker left, she started griping about the baby being dumb, etc. I started wondering, how many takes did they do with that baby girl? Since she's special needs, does she understands what they are saying? That it's just amovie and not truly directed at her?

Then this morning, I started thinking of all the other child abuse cases- sybil, a girl had to act out certain parts in that movie (being tied to the table, etc)...
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rfhsure
by beast mode on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:48 PM
I was just talking to someone about this last night! I saw a movie where a gun as pointed in a babies face and it was screaming and crying, or paranornal movies where they're just left crying. It seems so sad to me!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:49 PM
I could not let my children participate anyway
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Could be why some stars are messed up now that they are older.
Aliceinwildland
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I think they know its just acting. Except like babies crying and stuff. I don't know. Babies cry and I think they just wait for the kid to cry when they're filming.

beachlove512
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Precious is such a sad, sad movie. Her mother is such a b*tch. I have no idea how it works shooting those kinds of scenes. I hope it doesn't negatively impact the child actors.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:52 PM
There was a tv show where the kid accidentally shot and killed another kid.... I know it's not real life, but it makes you question how the kids take in these things.

Quoting rfhsure:

I was just talking to someone about this last night! I saw a movie where a gun as pointed in a babies face and it was screaming and crying, or paranornal movies where they're just left crying. It seems so sad to me!
cbk_mom3
by JayTayGma on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I'm sure it does. And, it probably effects the actors, as well. I remember reading about Kiefer Sutherland after he did "An Eye for an eye", in which he played a rapist and murderer in. He said he really didn't think too much about what it would entail when he agreed to do the movie, but he said after he did the 1st rape/murder scene, he was physically ill for days after, and had to cancel shooting. He said all he could think about was his own daughter. He said he'd never play another character like that, and he hasn't.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:56 PM
I've never been around a child with down syndrome, but do they have the capacity to know it's not real life? (Does that sounds mean? I hope not. It's just autism had such a huge spectrum, does ds have the same thing?) The girl looked to be about 4 years old, and was called all sorts of mean names.

Quoting Aliceinwildland:

I think they know its just acting. Except like babies crying and stuff. I don't know. Babies cry and I think they just wait for the kid to cry when they're filming.

Aliceinwildland
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Its a pretty big spectrum too. I used to be a special needs TA in high school, and they understand a lot about whats going on around them. We even did plays and things like that. It was a lot of fun. Some don't really understand though.

I think deafness is common with people with down syndrome. Movie makers may have taken advantage of the girls disability.

Quoting Anonymous:

I've never been around a child with down syndrome, but do they have the capacity to know it's not real life? (Does that sounds mean? I hope not. It's just autism had such a huge spectrum, does ds have the same thing?) The girl looked to be about 4 years old, and was called all sorts of mean names.

Quoting Aliceinwildland:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 27, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Have you ever seen the original music video for MGMT-Kids? That video pissed off a lot of people, calling it child abuse. But if you watch the making of the video, you see how everything was strategically done, and the kid was laughing and happy during most of it. The only time he was crying was when he was hungry or wanted his mommy.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)