Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Another edit!! (EDIT) Halloween vent...how many of you do this??

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:30 PM
  • 654 Replies
5 moms liked this

EDIT TO CLARIFY:

Wow! This post blew up! I am editing to clarify a few things, in case anyone is interested :)

1. For those of you flipping out and calling me nasty names, etc...get a grip.  This is Cafemom.  I was just venting.

2. To be clear, this is not about people who live in apartments, people who hand out candy before or after, or people who live somewhere that trick or treaters don't go.  This post was done IN RESPONSE to another post, where a bunch of moms said they REFUSE to hand out candy, and will actually turn out the lights and pretend they are not home rather than pass out candy...but yet, they send their own kids out trick or treating.  Do I think that's selfish?  Yes, of course I do.

I am NOT suggesting that you HAVE to leave someone at home.  I have said over and over again that there are many options.  Leave a bowl out.  Have your kids spend 30 minutes passing out candy first or after (what a great teachable moment).  Hand a bag of candy to your elderly neighbors so that they can pass it out.  Just don't be selfish.  Some of you said your kids absolutely have to be out Trick or Treating the whole time.  Really? I am sure they will survive if they hand out candy for 20 minutes, then trick or treat for 2 hours.  Sheesh.  Or, again, leave a bowl out.  It is not the end of the world if one stinky teenager takes it all; most of the time, the kids will be honest.

Some of you have suggested that you are not passing out candy because you will when the children are older. Fine--at least you have thought it through.  That is still different than the women who were bitching about the price of candy, and REFUSING to hand it out, yet sending their own kids out.  

I grew up in the seventies.  The only people who didn't hand out candy were the super grouches.  Even most of the uber religious handed out candy, along with bible verses.  It was a great neighborhood event.  Everyone decorated, everyone left their porch lights on.  

I know times have changed, and that some neighborhoods are dangerous, isolated, etc, and that a lot of people go to malls, trunk or treats, etc.  That is FINE BY ME.  But what I hadn't realized was that there were so many selfish people who, again, REFUSE to buy candy yet teach their kids to go get it elsewhere.  It was surprising to me, so I vented.

Some of the replies to this post are absurd.  Some of you even suggested that I just want more candy for my own kid.  That's silly; perhaps take a step back and actually read what I wrote.  By the way...my oldest is only 4.  He goes out for a short while, and isn't particularly interested in eating candy anyway--he just likes the excitement of it all.  And still, I make him answer the door for Trick or Treaters for 20 to 30 minutes.  I believe it actually makes the holiday more rewarding to be on the giving end as well.

So gripe all you want, but perhaps some of you will recognize this post for what it is.  A call for people to enjoy the spirit of the holiday, stop being selfish, and teach your kids how to give and receive with manners.

I was surprised to read on another post how many people take their kids trick or treating but don't hand out candy.

I understand if you live somewhere with no trick or treaters. But to those of you whose kids get candy from others, but you refuse to hand any out...you suck!

Even those of you who buy one cheap bag of candy, then turn the lights out. Really? I bet your kid comes home with much more...

Sorry, but I hadn't realized until I read that other post what scrooges are out there. Lame.

EDIT for excuse makers: if you are a two parent household, one parent stays home. Simple. If you are a single parent, take the kids TOT for an hour, then have them hand out candy the rest of the time. OR leave a bowl out and trust the kids!!

EDIT: you will see in the replies that I don't mean people living in apartments, or even those who hand out candy before or after. It's mostly the ones who refuse to buy candy, or buy one dinky bag and then turn their lights out because they are too cheap to pass out candy. I think the passing out part is very important (and fun) as well, so even though DH stays home, I still have DS hand out candy for 30 minutes or so after he is done.

by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:31 PM
10 moms liked this
Sorry, Im out with my own kids, not home handing out candy
rgba
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Bump for the tightwads.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KelliansMom
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:31 PM
We won't be home to hand out candy we are going to a friends house to go trick or treating. But we are bring a bag of candy to add to their candy bowl since the dads will take the kids and the moms will be handing them out.
rgba
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:32 PM
Are you married? Then one of you can stay home. Do your kids go out for 3 hours? No? Hand it out before and after.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sorry, Im out with my own kids, not home handing out candy

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Well, we hand out candy. But sometimes it'd be nice for the whole family to trick or treat together.
rgba
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Great! That is totally understandable :)

Quoting KelliansMom:

We won't be home to hand out candy we are going to a friends house to go trick or treating. But we are bring a bag of candy to add to their candy bowl since the dads will take the kids and the moms will be handing them out.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SalemWitchChild
by Blessed be on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I'd hand out candy if we had any TOTers. But they don't come this way.

CGM2012
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this

If we are out trick or treating, how are we supposed to hand out candy?

saphiraka
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:34 PM
2 moms liked this

How am I supposed to hand out candy when Im not home?  Sure dont trust the little buggers to be honest and take 1 peice if you leave a bowl out. 

rgba
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:34 PM
Lets be honest. The kids won't really care if both are there. One of you can start the night, then switch out. Or just go for a little bit.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, we hand out candy. But sometimes it'd be nice for the whole family to trick or treat together.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)