Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My 1st grader got suspended!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 76 Replies
Off the bus! He supposedly hits someone every day on the bus. He came off Friday crying bc someone was making fun of him (he does rarely drool and they can't figure out why. He's had a t & a and speech therapy for it but nothing helps) and the principal has 'no question' he's being instigated and feels 'bad because he really is a great kid'

I have no car and work at 9 and that's drop off time. It'll take me atleast 30 mins to get home if we walk. My question is he's on an iep, he has ADHD that does make him aggressive and have no impulse control. He needs strict routine and he gets over stimulated easily. The principal thinks that's why it only happens on the bus and not at all in school. There's 60 kids on that bus and it's very noisy accordion to her. So can I add private transportation to an iep that's already in place since it has to do with his ADHD? Will I need a drs note or something? I'm waiting for his school to call back but they try to get away with doing as little as possible, I had to fight so hard to even get him tested and placed!
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:44 AM
2 moms liked this

If it's that big of a deal you are the parent and need to make special arraingments for your child.

SpnFulOfSugar
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:45 AM
2 moms liked this
Sounds like he deserves to be suspended.
lauren.m
by Platinum Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:46 AM
6 moms liked this
My child has an IEP and if she was hitting other kids I would expect for her to be suspended. An IEP isn't an excuse for a child to hit others.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:47 AM
I didn't say he didn't, I know he shouldn't hit

Quoting SpnFulOfSugar:

Sounds like he deserves to be suspended.

Supervane
by Ruby Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Just think of what you would do in this situation if your child wasn't special needs. Then go with that plan
lenashark

I really don't think they would give him private transportation for ADHD. Instead something more appropriate would be therapy to teach him how to cope in situations like that and adding a plan to his IEP, what he's supposed to do if someones teasing him. ADHD isn't an excuse for hitting people, even if it's a contributor. He needs to learn that he can't use violence when someone makes fun of him. Children with ADHD have impulse control, it's just harder for them to use it so they need to work on that. My honest suggestion is to work on solving the problem, teaching him how to cope with situations like that, not avoid the problem by putting him on his own private bus. 

dawnjohnson5
1 mom liked this
Quit using adhd as an excuse.

He hit someone everyday on the bus? He deserved to be suspended.
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this

private transportation is not a "reasonable accomidation" under IDEA, nor does the transporation have direct impact on his in school success, which is what an IEP protects

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:49 AM
He's in therapy, sees a psychiatrist, is on medicine idk what else I can do at this point

Quoting lenashark:

I really don't think they would give him private transportation for ADHD. Instead something more appropriate would be therapy to teach him how to cope in situations like that and adding a plan to his IEP, what he's supposed to do if someones teasing him. ADHD isn't an excuse for hitting people, even if it's a contributor. He needs to learn that he can't use violence when someone makes fun of him. Children with ADHD have impulse control, it's just harder for them to use it so they need to work on that. My honest suggestion is to work on solving the problem, teaching him how to cope with situations like that, not avoid the problem by putting him on his own private bus. 

adrianaevanmom
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:50 AM
What are you asking exactly?

I think you can see if private transportation can be added to his iep, but instead of removing him from the situation, I would use it as a teaching tool. It honestly sounds like your child is being the bully and not the other way around.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)