Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

kids and the eye dr?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies
When did you first bring your kid to the eye dr? My dd is 9 and she's never been. Her pediatrician does a quick eye test every yr at her physical and always says her eyes are fine. I've never thought to make her an appointment to get her eyes tested at an eye doctor. I'm just wondering where the norm is? What age did you start taking them to the eye dr.?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Supervane
by Ruby Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Mine had her.first eye test at 5. The ones before that were pediatrician or school eye tests.

ETA We took her not.because there was a problem.but because we know that's the age eye problems can start and when vision is developing
mskeeinmd
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I took my son this summer at 5 because his dad and I both wear eyeglasses.  His eyes were fine. The doctor said that we should only bring him back if he says he has headaches, blurred vision and/or can't see the board.

brvdsmom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:57 AM
My son is 7 and still hasn't gone.
aj_mom
by Silver Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:57 AM

DS had his first @ 4 I believe and DD is supposed to go and she is only 18 months. We are waiting to make that one to cordinate with other appointments we have going on because we have to drive 2 hours for it. My kids will have to go at least yearly and see an opthomalogist.

jltplk25
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Both my kids were 3.

JDmommyJD
by the sauce is boss on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:58 AM

You only take them if they need to be seen.. My oldest two failed school eye exams so I made them apts.. (theyre ok, slight issue with distance, but not enough to realy need glasses).. My middle child has never been... and my youngest 2 went before they were 1, because they were preemies.. Their eyes, thankfully, have no problems.

OneAllergicMama
by Platinum Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:58 AM

DS1 passed his eye exam at the ped for the initial Kindy screening but failed the school test in 1st grade.  He has been going every six months due to a slight crossing of his eye and adjustments needing to be made to his glasses because of growth.

DS2 passed his initial screening and test at school.  I wonder if DD needs to be seen.

My kids drew the short straw in regards to family eyesight issues LOL  My mom and grandmother have macular degeneration.  Mom has cataracts (my grandfather lost an eye due to post cataract surgery infection).  My MIL has glaucoma (many in her family do as well).  Many of the family members have worn glasses at an early age due to being blind as bats LOL

KelliansMom
by Platinum Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:58 AM
My son was night months but he needed eye surgery. I need to take him back for an actual vision test now that he is five.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:59 AM
My son went at 6 years old per his pediatricians referral. His eye exam at his annual well check showed that his vision was less than prefect.
He wears eyeglasses now.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN