Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I can't decide if I should pull him out.

Posted by   + Show Post

I got my son into cubscouts.  He's six so he's a Tiger Cub.  He doesn't seem too interested in baseball, basketball, football etc. but I know it's important that he be in some kind of extra curricular activity.  I figured Cubscouts because it would help socialize him and build his self confidence.  Well, he hates it.  He doesn't like the meetings, complains and whines when we have "homework" to do, and to be honest, I don't like it too much either.  I just don't want to pull him out too early and teach him that it's okay to just give up.  He's gone to about four or five meetings now, all of which he says are boring.  I try to stay positive about it and explain how you have to do work before the fun things like field trips and stuff, but he's just not feeling it. 

I'm thinking about putting him into a mixed martial arts class.  He went to an open house thing with a friend of his one night and he loved it.  I think I'm going to call today and get some details and price it out.  Do you think I'm bailing too early on Cubscouts?

by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Replies (21-30):
melissanoel
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:55 PM

If he doesn't like it I would take him out.

TatyBear
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:56 PM
I always tell my kids to.let me know if they hate what they go into. I'm not paying for my kids to be bored.

We just move on and find.something else.

prdmama1154
by Silver Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Thank you :)

I'm not talking bad about scouts.  I think it's great for those that like it.  I just don't think it's his thing.  He needs something the holds his attention a little more.  He told me it's just like school without anything fun.

Quoting ambrossious2000:

Hi, I am a cubmaser for my local cubscouts. I just wantd to say, If you are not happy with how it is going in your sons den, you can get involved, you can help be an assistant den leader. Talk to his den leader, tell him or her about how you don't think your son is having fun. That way they can get him more involved, you can always go the committee meetings and put your input their as well. Cub scouts is family based their is so much you can do as a parent in cubscouts, that's why I love it so much. Help plan den outings and the next den craft or game. Let me know what you think and I will be happy to help anyway I can.

Presley77
by Silver Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Pull him out now 5 meetings is enough to know he isn't down with it. Definitely check out the ma class sounds like he would have fun!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Nope! My DD will not be in Girl Scouts. Girl Scouts has ties to Planned Parenthood. Unless they severe those ties, our family will have nothing to do with Girl Scouts period.  

Quoting prdmama1154:

There's always girl scouts!!  Haha....but seriously.  For a while I couldn't decide if it was just because I didn't like it or if it was really something he didn't like.  We skipped selling popcorn in front of the grocery store the this past Sunday.  I think that's the answer I needed.  Now, if it was an activity that he loved, I wouldn't care if it took up every single second of my life and I would dedicate myself to it.  But he just whines and whines when it comes to the scouts.

Quoting Anonymous:

Nope! Not at all! I personally, cannot STAND scouts! I think it is SO STUPID!! Of course, I end up with 4 boys and one girl!! My boys have ALL LOVED scouts-do not ask me why! I told DH a LONG time ago that if they are going to be in scouts, he will be the one to be sure they do the crap in the book to get their badges. I refuse to go to any of their stupid scouting activities or dinners etc! They are having a stupid thing about scouting this coming week for the families and I am not going! I remember when my mom forced me to stay in activities I did not want to stay in as a kid! I HATED that she made me go!! I always said if my kids don't like an activity after the 3rd time they went, I would not force them to go a 4th time. I think the martial arts sounds way more fun than stupid scouting!! I am so glad we are down to our last 2 boys who are of scouting age! I was even happier when I found out DD was a GIRL at my 20-week ultrasound! I was like HOOOORAY!!!! NO MORE DAMN IDIOTIC scouts!! WOO!! HOO!! Good luck!!

ebbierowe
by Gold Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:04 PM
If he doesn't enjoy it don't make him do it...
CandM_Momster
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I'd pull and try something else.

My son loves karate, soccer, ballet, and tap.  He hated gymnastics, and t-ball.  He hasn't been old enough in our area for any of the other activities.  

prdmama1154
by Silver Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:04 PM

ok

Quoting Anonymous:

Then he needs to finish this school year as a boy scout and not sign up next year.

Quoting prdmama1154:

That's what I'm trying to avoid.

Quoting Anonymous:

LOL.  I've never actually heard of a parent who wishes to instill in their 6 year old that giving up is good.

Mind=blown

colins_mom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:05 PM
my son loves scouts. I am his den leader and 98% of the kids love it. have they worked on badges as a den at all or is it just at home? what kind of stuff do they do at meetings. our pack meeting was at a pumpkin patch this month and all the boys (and a few of their sisters!) had a BLAST.
colins_mom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:10 PM
there needs to be fun too. have they done rocket launches? we do one or two a month.

Quoting prdmama1154:

Thank you :)

I'm not talking bad about scouts.  I think it's great for those that like it.  I just don't think it's his thing.  He needs something the holds his attention a little more.  He told me it's just like school without anything fun.

Quoting ambrossious2000:

Hi, I am a cubmaser for my local cubscouts. I just wantd to say, If you are not happy with how it is going in your sons den, you can get involved, you can help be an assistant den leader. Talk to his den leader, tell him or her about how you don't think your son is having fun. That way they can get him more involved, you can always go the committee meetings and put your input their as well. Cub scouts is family based their is so much you can do as a parent in cubscouts, that's why I love it so much. Help plan den outings and the next den craft or game. Let me know what you think and I will be happy to help anyway I can.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured