Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I can't decide if I should pull him out.

Posted by   + Show Post

I got my son into cubscouts.  He's six so he's a Tiger Cub.  He doesn't seem too interested in baseball, basketball, football etc. but I know it's important that he be in some kind of extra curricular activity.  I figured Cubscouts because it would help socialize him and build his self confidence.  Well, he hates it.  He doesn't like the meetings, complains and whines when we have "homework" to do, and to be honest, I don't like it too much either.  I just don't want to pull him out too early and teach him that it's okay to just give up.  He's gone to about four or five meetings now, all of which he says are boring.  I try to stay positive about it and explain how you have to do work before the fun things like field trips and stuff, but he's just not feeling it. 

I'm thinking about putting him into a mixed martial arts class.  He went to an open house thing with a friend of his one night and he loved it.  I think I'm going to call today and get some details and price it out.  Do you think I'm bailing too early on Cubscouts?

by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Replies (31-40):
rhymia
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I would pull. He didn't choose Scouts, you signed him up. Our family rule is that if the kids ask to join something they need to see it through, but if we sign them up for something and they honestly don't like it, then they can stop. At six, the idea of being a "quitter" is lost on him, especially since it wasn't something he asked to join or expressed interest in - all he will remember is the year mom made him go to cubs outs and he didn't like it. 

We did not sign our daughters up for girls scouts - all I remember is a lot of boredom with bouts of drama at meetings. No thanks. 

HaileysMom07180
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:14 PM
2 moms liked this

i would tell him to give it the rest of the school year and if he really hates it by then, then yes don't enroll him next year.  dd is in girlscouts and last year the "boring" stuff was in the beginning of the year and they had about 4 field trips at the end of the year, including build a bear and the aquarium.  

BeautyFull
by Silver Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:14 PM
I would not say teaching how to give up, but knowing what you are interested in and following that.

Quoting Anonymous:

LOL.  I've never actually heard of a parent who wishes to instill in their 6 year old that giving up is good.

Mind=blown

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:16 PM
6 moms liked this

I find the fact that you won't support your children so incredibly sad.  My heart hurts for your boys.

Quoting Anonymous:

Nope! Not at all! I personally, cannot STAND scouts! I think it is SO STUPID!! Of course, I end up with 4 boys and one girl!! My boys have ALL LOVED scouts-do not ask me why! I told DH a LONG time ago that if they are going to be in scouts, he will be the one to be sure they do the crap in the book to get their badges. I refuse to go to any of their stupid scouting activities or dinners etc! They are having a stupid thing about scouting this coming week for the families and I am not going! I remember when my mom forced me to stay in activities I did not want to stay in as a kid! I HATED that she made me go!! I always said if my kids don't like an activity after the 3rd time they went, I would not force them to go a 4th time. I think the martial arts sounds way more fun than stupid scouting!! I am so glad we are down to our last 2 boys who are of scouting age! I was even happier when I found out DD was a GIRL at my 20-week ultrasound! I was like HOOOORAY!!!! NO MORE DAMN IDIOTIC scouts!! WOO!! HOO!! Good luck!!

ramita
by Gold Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:25 PM
If I could've afforded martial arts class my SS would've been in it instead. It cost $60/month, and its a 30 minute drive to the nearest one twice a week. So that's $20 extra in gas every week. It just wouldn't fit in our budget. That's one of the cons of living in a small town...
Linagma03
by Silver Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this

No if he doesn't like it then take him out. You aren't going to teach him that it is okay to quit. What you will teach him is to find what makes him happy. There is going to be time to teach him that there are things that have to be done even if we don't like them. 

Check it out and see if he can have a couple of sessions to see if he is going to like it. The night that he went they could've been doing demonstrations and that makes it really exciting. He needs to see the boring side too. By boring I mean the exercises, the practice moves, it is usually several weeks before any kind of contact is made. Talk to the instructor, price, and then talk to some of the parents at each place that you are interested in. Something that I found helpful was to talk to the instructor and ask about rules & expectations outside of classes. Some of them want to know if the kids use what they learn outside of classes on others because then they can talk to the kid about it and try to re-enforce the fact that you don't use it just to use it. One Academy would ground the kids for using their skills just because they knew them, they would not allow them to participate in anything except the initial warmup exercises then sit out the rest of the session. One Academy had a whole schedule of disciplin if the kids didn't abide by that rule, first offense this, second offense this etc..

prdmama1154
by Gold Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:26 PM

So far all the meetings have been at a church.  It's a lot of reading out of the handbook and reciting things that they're supposed to be memorizing.  They've been selling popcorn too but that's over with now. 

Quoting colins_mom:

my son loves scouts. I am his den leader and 98% of the kids love it. have they worked on badges as a den at all or is it just at home? what kind of stuff do they do at meetings. our pack meeting was at a pumpkin patch this month and all the boys (and a few of their sisters!) had a BLAST.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:27 PM
3 moms liked this

Then he should finish the school year and not sign up again next year.

Life isn't only about what you want.  Sometimes, it's about honoring commitments to things that you've lost enthusiasm in.

That's a better life lesson than giving up.

Quoting BeautyFull:

I would not say teaching how to give up, but knowing what you are interested in and following that.

Quoting Anonymous:

LOL.  I've never actually heard of a parent who wishes to instill in their 6 year old that giving up is good.

Mind=blown

cali_gurl
by Gold Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Nope...the first 5 meetings should have excited him. If not, move on to something HE is interested in.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:29 PM
5 meetings is enough to know you don't like something. Id let him quit.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)