Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I can't decide if I should pull him out.

Posted by   + Show Post

I got my son into cubscouts.  He's six so he's a Tiger Cub.  He doesn't seem too interested in baseball, basketball, football etc. but I know it's important that he be in some kind of extra curricular activity.  I figured Cubscouts because it would help socialize him and build his self confidence.  Well, he hates it.  He doesn't like the meetings, complains and whines when we have "homework" to do, and to be honest, I don't like it too much either.  I just don't want to pull him out too early and teach him that it's okay to just give up.  He's gone to about four or five meetings now, all of which he says are boring.  I try to stay positive about it and explain how you have to do work before the fun things like field trips and stuff, but he's just not feeling it. 

I'm thinking about putting him into a mixed martial arts class.  He went to an open house thing with a friend of his one night and he loved it.  I think I'm going to call today and get some details and price it out.  Do you think I'm bailing too early on Cubscouts?

by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Replies (41-50):
Snapdragon88
by Platinum Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:30 PM
4 moms liked this
Wow, it doesn't matter if you enjoy scouts or not. If your children do, you should be supportive. No matter what. It isn't about YOU.

Quoting Anonymous:

Nope! Not at all! I personally, cannot STAND scouts! I think it is SO STUPID!! Of course, I end up with 4 boys and one girl!! My boys have ALL LOVED scouts-do not ask me why! I told DH a LONG time ago that if they are going to be in scouts, he will be the one to be sure they do the crap in the book to get their badges. I refuse to go to any of their stupid scouting activities or dinners etc! They are having a stupid thing about scouting this coming week for the families and I am not going! I remember when my mom forced me to stay in activities I did not want to stay in as a kid! I HATED that she made me go!! I always said if my kids don't like an activity after the 3rd time they went, I would not force them to go a 4th time. I think the martial arts sounds way more fun than stupid scouting!! I am so glad we are down to our last 2 boys who are of scouting age! I was even happier when I found out DD was a GIRL at my 20-week ultrasound! I was like HOOOORAY!!!! NO MORE DAMN IDIOTIC scouts!! WOO!! HOO!! Good luck!!

colins_mom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:30 PM
oh boo! talk to your leaders about doing more activities. I bet none of the kids are enjoying themselves.

Quoting prdmama1154:

So far all the meetings have been at a church.  It's a lot of reading out of the handbook and reciting things that they're supposed to be memorizing.  They've been selling popcorn too but that's over with now. 

Quoting colins_mom:

my son loves scouts. I am his den leader and 98% of the kids love it. have they worked on badges as a den at all or is it just at home? what kind of stuff do they do at meetings. our pack meeting was at a pumpkin patch this month and all the boys (and a few of their sisters!) had a BLAST.

amandacr1026
by Silver Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I would at least stick it out for a year so that you can experience several different activities.. after that then you can reevaluate.. Cubscouts/Boyscouts is a really good program. If it turns out that he enjoys it later on and he becomes an Eagle Scout there are a lot of jobs and opportunities that will smile greatly on that rank. Good luck finding something he can flourish in :)

LilliesValley
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids have to finish what they start so he'd have to finish out the school year imo. What makes you think he wont give up on martial arts after two or three lessons? But if you have money to burn and want to teach great values pull him. I wouldn't though.

happykitty316
by Platinum Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:33 PM

No.  In my experience when they come home saying they want to join xyz, it usually is a valid interest.  Whenever we have picked the activity they have hated it.  5 meetings in is enough time to decide that he needs a new activity.

Lottie925
by Gold Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Martial arts for physical activity and confidence building also I suggest

art classes, swimming, gymnastics, music

I wouldn't make him continue. Cub Scouts can be a snore and selling overpriced popcorn is a chore.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:35 PM
2 moms liked this
Our rule is if it is something where the group is relying on our kids they have to see it through. Say a team sport. My son hated soccer but thanks to people signing their kids up then quitting or moving his team had 5 kids. One game only 3 showed. They needed him and he was required to finish the season.
Things where people don't rely on him I see no problem quitting. It's not like you are teaching him to quit anything important you are teaching him to try new things, follow his interests, and know when to say enough. I know kids whose parents never let them quit without finishing the year and they were afraid to try new things for fear of being stuck with something they hated for a full year.
prdmama1154
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Thank you for your response.

Quoting LilliesValley:

My kids have to finish what they start so he'd have to finish out the school year imo. What makes you think he wont give up on martial arts after two or three lessons? But if you have money to burn and want to teach great values pull him. I wouldn't though.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:39 PM
I wouldnt have put him in that to begin with. Martial arts is much better
prdmama1154
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I understand what you're saying.  This is where I'm torn.  If I pull him out and let him try martial arts I'm afraid of sending him the wrong message of "it's okay to quit".  Is that the negative message I'm sending or am I being a good mother in recognizing that my son is unhappy and allowing him to explore something that he might excel in?

Quoting Anonymous:

Our rule is if it is something where the group is relying on our kids they have to see it through. Say a team sport. My son hated soccer but thanks to people signing their kids up then quitting or moving his team had 5 kids. One game only 3 showed. They needed him and he was required to finish the season.
Things where people don't rely on him I see no problem quitting. It's not like you are teaching him to quit anything important you are teaching him to try new things, follow his interests, and know when to say enough. I know kids whose parents never let them quit without finishing the year and they were afraid to try new things for fear of being stuck with something they hated for a full year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)