Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I am staying home to take care of my baby, not yours!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 99 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am pregnant with mine and DH's first child. I am due March 20th. I am also a 1st grade teacher. DH and I decided that once the baby was born, I would be staying home with the baby. I told the school this at the beginning of the school year. To make things easier on the students, I will not come back after Christmas break so they will start the new semester with their new teacher (they all know about this and there is even a goodbye party planned). Besides, this gives me time to get ready for the baby and take it easy for the last third of my pregnancy.

Well my SIL (DH's sister) thinks that because I am staying home, I should watch her 2 year old for her for free. She actually said to me the other day "you know, we spend $180 a week on childcare and I have kind of been waiting for you to offer to watch DD to save us money". I  was stunned that she would be so rude as to not only ask me to watch her kid for free but to expect it. I told her that if I wanted to continue working, I would have taught until my delivery  (that's not entirely true, part of me leaving early is for the kids but the other part is that yeah, I do want to take some time off to get my home ready for the new baby and to take it easy).

She said "well I get that you would want time off when the baby is born but I would think that you would want to watch her to help us out" I said "well you thought wrong". Then she called me lazy for not wanting to take on her 2 year old until I deliver and then again a few weeks after. The thing that shocked me (I guess it shouldn't have) was that MIL was on her side in this. DH is annoyed with them and said that he is willing to be the sole breadwinner so that I can stay home and take care of our baby so that our baby has that one on one not so that I can stay home and have to split my attention between our baby and her toddler.

I told DH that if this doesn't blow over, we should just go to my family's Thanksgiving and skip theirs because I don't want to spend Thanksgiving defending not wanting to watch her DD.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 28, 2013 at 4:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 28, 2013 at 4:03 PM

BUMP!

meaganmac
by Gold Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 4:05 PM
4 moms liked this
Wow. Rude and entitled. I would never even dream of expecting that from someone.
IamMex11
by JorgematoTM on Oct. 28, 2013 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Some people really have nerve! Stick to your guns and do it your way! I am glad your dh is supporting you on this.

TimetoMomUp
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Yeah, I'd be pretty annoyed too.  

Seagodess
by Ruby Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this

She sounds really entitled. Just because your family doesn't mean you should have to watch her kid, let alone for free.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 28, 2013 at 4:07 PM

i dont think you should have to watch her child...if it were my SIL i'd make her pay me...her kids are terrible two times like four lol...but i think if she keeps it up i think its a good idea for you to go to your family instead of his.

HippieMomma08
by Silver Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 4:08 PM
6 moms liked this
Get used to it. Everyone assumes that SAHMs have nothing to do all day and should provide free child care. You are being "selfish" if you don't.
Just ask her if she would ve willing to watch your newborn on the weekends for 8 hours a day. Ya know, since she's not doing anything else.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 28, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I wouldn't even do it to be paid. If I wanted to be paid, I would stay at work lol

Quoting Anonymous:

i dont think you should have to watch her child...if it were my SIL i'd make her pay me...her kids are terrible two times like four lol...but i think if she keeps it up i think its a good idea for you to go to your family instead of his.

woodswalker
by Silver Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Wow.  Stick to your guns.   Glad your husband is on your side.   Dont let them make you feel like you are being a bitch.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 28, 2013 at 4:11 PM

That is so stupid, why would people think that? Well I feel no obligation to watch her kid and I let that be known.

Quoting HippieMomma08:

Get used to it. Everyone assumes that SAHMs have nothing to do all day and should provide free child care. You are being "selfish" if you don't.
Just ask her if she would ve willing to watch your newborn on the weekends for 8 hours a day. Ya know, since she's not doing anything else.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN