Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Please fix your child a healthier breakfast *edit* **edit 2** *update* pg 70 update

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 708 Replies
2 moms liked this

The teacher called me this morning stating that she is worried that I am feeding my child too much sugar in the morning. That he isn't paying attention in class and is too fidgety. My son is six in the first grade. Last year he did fine in Kindergarten but this year he has been acting up. She told me if I cannot fix something better that he could have breakfast at school. I told her my kid eats breakfast at home everyday. She said my son was bragging about having a pancake sandwich and in her opinion that is too much sugar. I told her I would talk to my son about his fidgeting but would not be changing his breakfast menu. She said she would have my son bring home a paper displaying a proper breakfast.
My son had a pancake sandwich this morning. That is two thin apple brown sugar pancakes use like bread with an easy over egg and ham in the middle. I see the school menu and that looks a lot worse than what I feed my kid. 

Does my son's breakfast seem unhealthy? Was the teacher or I out of line?

Edit
My son has been having trouble since the beginning of first grade. His diet has not change and he was fine in Kindergarten. His siblings eat the same as him and are not having issues in school.
The pancakes did not have a lot of sugar. The brown sugar comes from the apple sauce we made over the weekend and even then we only use three table spoons of brown sugar for a large batch of apple sauce.  
We think his biggest issue is that he is a smart boy but not quite socially there for first grade.  

Edit 2
I called one of the room moms yesterday. I asked how were the kids and she said they all seemed fine.  She told me that the teacher told her that I mouthed her off and was rude. The teacher has no right to discuss our conversation to another parent. I asked the room mom how was my son and she told me he seemed fine but bored. He kept doodling on the side of his worksheets after finishing them, until after lunch. I asked what happen at lunch and she told me she did not know but that my son cause a disturbance and was sent to the principal office. I did not get a call about this. She then told me that she left after lunch and her daughter told her that my son was angry at the teacher at recess too and was sent to the principal office again. I did not get a note about this or a proper breakfast from his teacher either.
I asked my son about what happen and he said the teacher stole his cookie. That he did not need the cookie and threw it away. He got upset and called her a thief. She told him if he did not calm down she would take his apple sauce too. He said he was sent to the principal office because he told the teacher he would call the cops on her.
I asked what happen at recess and he said the principal told him he could not play for 15 minutes. When the time out bell rang he went to play and she said he had to go back in the time out square cause he got out without her permission. I have been a volunteer before and have never seen a kid get punish for leaving the time out square after the timer went off. He said she made him run around the basketball court three times then go back in time out. He told her it wasn't fair that he was being punish again and she sent him to the principal office again.
My dh took our son to school today. He is really pissed off about the teacher throwing away food and telling another parent about a private conversation. He thinks the reason why we did not get a call or note home about his trips to the principal office is because it was a "bs move on the teacher's part"  He said he is going to stay all day. 

Update
My dh told me when he went to volunteer in the class the teacher told him he could not. That he had to call in advance and get a back ground check. Both are untrue. He said he went to he office to ask about the policy change and they told him that they never changed the policy. The secretary did say it was up to the teacher if a parent could volunteer.  Then the principal came out and told my dh that the teacher had told them I had use explicit language and was very hostile when she call to discuss ds behavior. DH said the teacher was a liar and hoped she had evidence to support her claim. He then asked the principal if it was OK for the teacher to discuss a parent teacher call with another parent, if it was OK for the teacher to throw away my kid's food and was it OK for the teacher to lie to him in his face about volunteering? The principal said he thinks there was a misunderstanding and we should have a sit down. DH told him the only misunderstanding they were going to have was if his son wasn't pulled out of that class today and put in another one. The principal said they would see what they could do but that they could not switch classes today. DH said his son will be back when ds has a different teacher.
I asked DH how come it took all day and he said it didn't. He decided to take ds fishing since it was a nice day and had left the cell at home.
DH said he was willing to give the teacher a chance until she lied to him and lied on me. 

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:12 AM
16 moms liked this

my son had triscuts for breakfast

LAXmom21
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:13 AM
16 moms liked this

my son had coffee for breakfast

TurtleMomma82
by Barbie on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:13 AM
14 moms liked this

The teacher actually called you and said that?  Ballsy.

MommaForever007
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:13 AM
15 moms liked this
Your breakfast seems fantastically healthy (like ideally so) and the teacher is a control freak
anyotherday
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:14 AM
57 moms liked this

god help me if any of my kids teachers try and dictate what I feed my kids in my home. 

Id be calling her in for a meeting with the Principal. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:14 AM
20 moms liked this

I think that a teacher that has to call home because of a little fidgeting shouldn't be a teacher.

Outspoken.Mime
by Platinum Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:14 AM
38 moms liked this

I think teachers need to mind their jobs, and not people's parenting.  Last I checked our school system wasn't winning any awards for excellence in teaching.

First graders can be fidgety for 1000 reasons.  And your breakfast sounds perfectly fine to me.  He has some sugar (which your body needs in the morning) and protein for lasting energy. 

Personally, I'd be pissed she was being so invasive.

Anonymous
1 mom liked this
Teacher is an idiot.
lovinmyboys...
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:14 AM
7 moms liked this
I made homemade glazed donuts this morning....yeah.... :/
Anonymous
1 mom liked this
Ny kids get the same thing everyday a bowl of oatmeal with natural pb in it & pancakes on sundays. We don't buy anything processed
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)