Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

does a PRENUP lessen the value of a marriage?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 329 Replies
10 moms liked this
What say you?

I personally would never marry someone who requested a prenup, and I'd never request any man to sign one before I'd marry him. I feel like it's a divorce before the marriage. Maybe that's just me though.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:18 AM
15 moms liked this
I agree.

But if I had millions and finance had nothing, I might feel differently.
bluebunnybabe
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:21 AM
17 moms liked this
This. It's easy for me to say prenups are bs but I've never had millions. And sometimes people have properties that have been in their families for generations & things like that so I can kind of understand needing to protect those.

Quoting KendallsMommee:

I agree.

But if I had millions and finance had nothing, I might feel differently.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:21 AM
52 moms liked this
I am all for prenuptials. I don't think it lessens the value of a marriage at all. It is good to be prepared and realistic, and to agree on the terms while everyone is still happy. To me, it is no different than a will or an advanced directive, you don't want to have to use it, but it's there if you need it. I think most people who are against prenups tend to not have assets to protect.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:24 AM
4 moms liked this
I agree, its planning divorce before marriage.and shows lack of trust
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I wouldn't marry someone who asked for a prenup, not because I'm naive and think divorce never happens (although it is extremely unlikely in our case), but because I wouldn't marry someone who thought so little of my character that he thinks I would go after his money and earnings.

The one exception is previous debt - there are rare circumstances where debt accumulated prior to the relationship can be prevented from falling on stepchildren and such.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:28 AM
7 moms liked this
The only way I'd agree to a prenup is if it only included what they had before we were married, any money made or property bought during the marriage would have to be counted as a martial asset and subject to division if a divorce were to happen.
CocoSerra
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I think prenups can be practical but then I've never been asked to sign one.  I suppose there is a bit of a discrepancy between "for better or worse... Til death do us part" and, "Oh hey, just in case this doesn't work out..."

I guess I'm just not qualified to give that question a definitive answer.

Colleen

www.thepickledginger.com

MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:30 AM
19 moms liked this
No.
in my religion its part of the marriage process.
I don't see the issue. Life isn't certain. We do not live in a Disney princess movie. I think its smart to cover your bases in any situation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:31 AM
5 moms liked this

I have fire insurance. I hope I never have to use it. Knowing I have it gives me peace of mind. It's the same principle.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:34 AM
3 moms liked this

no... considering how communication in marriage breaks down so easily and causes so many to just give up... a prenup is a smart investment not only financially but if there were ever children in the picture. nothing wronv with having a form of protection in case the marriage does not work. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN