Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Man Learns He's Really a Woman During Doctor's Visit?!

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:28 AM
  • 89 Replies

Man Learns He's Really a Woman During Doctor's Visit

by Ericka Sóuter 

handsNot surprisingly, a lot of people dread going to the doctor. They live in fear of being told they are sick or, even worse, dying. Though one man got news he never expected after seeking medical help for abdominal pains. The 66-year-old man was told he was genetically a woman.

Raised a male in Korea his entire life, the man is able to grow a beard and has a penis (though doctor's described it as a micro-penis and he had no detectable testicles). I suppose those would be warning signs for many people, but this man had always lived and functioned as male.

After an examination, they determined he had internal female organs and the stomach pain was caused by an ovarian cyst. Apparently, he suffers from a rare combo of Turner syndrome (when a woman lacks two X chromosomes) and congenital adrenal hyperplasia (which affects cortisol production). Both disorders can impede the development of reproductive organs. 

It's a bizarre situation, to be sure. My heart goes out to this man. He may have had some developmental abnormalities, but that doesn't negate the fact that he believed he was a man. I can't imagine the shock of being told that everything you knew about yourself was essentially a lie. It must be devastating. Though, perhaps this will explain certain things he has experienced but never understood. It's such an interesting topic given the growing number of people who feel as though they were born into the wrong sex and want to have sexual reassignment surgery.

All this makes me wonder if his parents had an inkling. Or perhaps they made the choice for him and decided he would live as a boy. So many questions -- many I am sure he also has. For now, doctors say he wants to continue living as a man and plans to take hormone replacement therapy. I just hope he is at peace with who he is -- whoever that ultimately turns out to be.

How would you react if you learned that you were really the opposite sex?

by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:31 AM
That'd be hard to come home to share with his wife.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I don't know what I would do if I found out that news.  My husband might be a bit disturbed.

I was reading a fiction book about this.  It's not as uncommon as one might think.

daughteroftruth
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:33 AM
4 moms liked this

How would I react...no clue..I'd be shocked and confused since i gave birth to 6 kids and breastfed them all!

HIJKLM
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:35 AM
That's crazy!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:36 AM
I would go crazy if l heard that! wow!
cateringtomel
by Anna_Elijah on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this
If I were really a dude I would tell my husband move over it's my time for beer and umbilical lent!

Jk. I would be devastated. I'm pretty sure I'm female
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:38 AM

welcome to the club buddy 

MaNdYbEaR2010
by *Manda* on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:39 AM
So... He didn't have a vagina? Only the start of one? I'm assuming they weren't taught sex ed, or biology and anatomy because I'm sure he'd have noticed tht he didn't actually pee out of his penis, right?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:48 AM

How's the baby doing?

Quoting cateringtomel:

If I were really a dude I would tell my husband move over it's my time for beer and umbilical lent!

Jk. I would be devastated. I'm pretty sure I'm female

supercarp
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:58 AM

There was a good program about a woman who learned she was genetically a man, even though everything else about her was female. She lacked whatever turned the testosterone on in the womb, so she didn't grow male organs. She appeared to be normal female. This person, by some far- right standards, would have to use a men's bathroom.

I think people are too hung up about other people's sex.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured