Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is this the proper punishment?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 36 Replies

I am mortified, so please don't kick me when I'm down.

We went to the produce stand today and when we got in the car I heard my 4 year old messing with a wrapper. I look back and he's opening a candy, which he apparently took from the fruit stand. So I explain to him how bad it is and march his butt bac inside to return it and apologize. Instead he threw the candy across the counter and ran back to the car. I apologized profusely and offered to pay. We are regulars there and the lady wasn't upset, but that's not even the point.

As soon as I got home I spanked his bottom and sent him to his room. I think I will have him donate his Halloween candy since he decided to steal candy.

Help ladies!

ETA- we are going back tomorrow to apologize properly with a note as well. the baby had just pooped and was screaming and i knew it would be insane to try and deal with both at the time. he feels awful now so i know when we go back to apologize he will actually mean it. 

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Saydar
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:05 PM

How old?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:06 PM
Quoting Saydar:

How old?

He is 4.
Saydar
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I don't know about donating his candy. I think that I would have drug him back and made him apologize but maybe that wasn't possible for you. You know your kid and his maturity level best but I don't know if he'd understand "donating" candy enough for it to really be effective.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I would have made him return the candy and not allowed him to go out on Halloween BUT I personally would not have spanked the child

Mom24munchkins
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:10 PM
If he were mine I would make him pay for the candy, then he would go least two weeks without any candy AT ALL.
Mena929
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Sounds like a good punishment to me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:11 PM
Quoting Saydar:

I don't know about donating his candy. I think that I would have drug him back and made him apologize but maybe that wasn't possible for you. You know your kid and his maturity level best but I don't know if he'd understand "donating" candy enough for it to really be effective.

Very true. My husband just deployed and he's been doing stupid ridiculous things to act up since. If I had drug him back then and there it would have turned into a bigger fit and he wouldn't have gotten it. I'm going to go back tomorrow and have him apologize when he's not being an animal.
PinkyPan
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:11 PM

He was already taken back inside and spanked for his bad behavior. Why the need to continue to punish him? You are pissed off and embarrassed.

anotherhalf
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I would have taken him back and made him return the candy in the appropriate manner.  We'd be there all day if we had to. 

thenameshailie
by Emerald Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I would have spanked him immediately and restricted some of his privileges, but I wouldnt take his candy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN